Questions for experienced runners...

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/07 3:28 am - Eastern, PA
Hi everybody. My name's Norman... I'm about 4 years out, currently a healthy, relatively muscular 200 lbs, down from my high of 425 lbs. Currently, I work out exclusively inside. I do one hour on the elliptical Monday-Friday, typically covering around 5.3 miles and burning 825 calories. I also do two hours of weight training a week. I would describe myself as very fit. I am interested in running in some 5k races next spring and summer. I have never run on hard pavement, and many people have told me that it is completely different than the elliptical. That being said, would it be unhealthy for me to begin training now in the Fall? Is it too cold? When does it become too cold to run outside? What would be a good distance and/or time for me to start at? I can do an hour on the elliptical, and while I do sweat a lot, I very rarely get winded. I already know I need to get some new shoes for running outside. My beat up Nikes just aren't going to cut it. Does anybody have any recommendations? Any input from experienced runners would be greatly, greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Norman
Rob S.
on 11/7/07 4:47 am - DE
Hey Norman, You can begin training outside anytime.  If you can get a treadmill, you might want to start on that first.  Running outside is very different than on equipment.  You are doing all the pushing and pulling on your own.  Never put off training because of the weather.  Start tonight! When does it become too cold to run outside?
I live in Delaware and there are very few days that I am not able to get out for a run.   It really depends on what you can cope with.  There are plenty of icicle runs in December and January. What would be a good distance and/or time for me to start at? You might want to check out the Couch Potato to 5k website.  It gives you a lot of advice about run-walk to build up your stamina. Definitely get new shoes.  Probably every other year if you want to run a lot.   Go to a running store and buy them where you can get good advice and reasonable prices.  I use the Nike+ with my ipod Nano and love them.  Asics are great for running. Don't try to conquer the world in a day.  Take some time and enjoy the process.  Once you get that first 5k under your belt, it really gets adicting. Rob
Scott William
on 11/8/07 9:05 pm
Pavement is different from the eliptical.  The eliptical is a no impact machine.  Once you start running, you will have impact on your knees.  Some people have an issue with knee problems.  Other people don't.  You just have to try and see if you do.   One thing that may help is actually getting to a running specialty store to be fitted for shoes.  They will put you in the right shoes for you.   To start you may want to go for a time and not a distance.  Perhaps you could alternate running and walking for a minute each for 15 minutes or so. 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/07 9:36 pm - Eastern, PA
Thank you both for the advice. Sounds like I'm off to the store for some shoes!
MaryS
on 11/8/07 10:02 pm - Long Island, NY

Norman,

Glad to hear you are heading out for the shoes; that would be my first recommendation before you start. When does it become too cold to run outside?  It doesn't!  Seriously, if you dress correctly you can run all winter.  Just wear some good layers.  Also, you should dress as if it's about 15 degrees warmer than the actual temp; that is how much you'll warm up from running. What would be a good distance and/or time for me to start at?  I second the suggestion of starting wtih walking/running intervals.  As mentioned, there is no impact to your body on the elliptical and you will have to see how your body handles the impact of running. If you really want to run, don't start out spending too much time running and ending up injured and discouraged.  It is better to start out slowly.

Best of luck to you!

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active