Ran my first mile

ermath
on 11/6/07 2:07 am - Hammond, LA
I realize this is minute (very minute) in comparison to all of the 5K, 10K, marathon accomplishments that have been posted lately. . .it goes without saying that you are incredible testaments. . . But, as I need to self-congratulate, I will post this. . . I ran my first mile last night.  I have been walking/jogging 3-4 miles/day for a year+, but I couldn't seem to push through beyond a lap or two around the track without taking a walking break.  That feeling of invincibility hit me around lap 4 (it is a 1/8 mi track), and I knew that I my lungs would hold out.  I did slow it down and returned to the walking/jogging combination for the duration of the session. . .but that one mile mark felt wonderful! Anyhow, I am almost 2 years post-op, and 250+ lbs. lighter. . .and I finally feel like that becoming A RUNNER is quite possible.  And thanks to all of you for keeping us motivated with your huge victories. . .
Leonor
on 11/6/07 3:12 am - Miami, FL

Congratulations!  You are definitely on your way.  As you do more, you will want to do more and it will come easier to you.  Do not let your mind defeat you.  On your run, you will get to a place where you think that you are just absolutely going to collapse, if  you can overcome this feeling and push yourself to the next tree, mailbox, whatever, you will notice that it will be like someone pressed a re-set button and you feel great and can run some more.  Do not give up!  You can certainly do it.  Again congratulations on your first complete mile!

ermath
on 11/7/07 12:33 am - Hammond, LA
Leonor:   Right on. . .  I have a tendency to get stuck inside a loop of "can't do its", if I allow that conversation in my head while working out.  Forcing myself to concentrate on other things (usually music or watching ahead) is one of the biggest struggles.  Thanks for your encouragement!  ~Erin
Leonor
on 11/7/07 12:50 am - Miami, FL
Erin:  I had my surgery May 22, 2006, and started walking around in the hospital.  Once I got discharged, I started walking around my block and built on that little by little (I went home with drains and I walked with my drains for the first wee****il doctor removed them).  I kind of got bored of the walking after a while and started jogging in between my walks--well, I would add a little distance every day (hitting that wall and stopping).  Once I started feeling more competitive (with myself****pt pushing myself beyong the "wall."  I can tell you that I formally started with a running group (with a coach and everything) formally this past March.  I am training for my first Marathon in Miami this coming January.  The longest distance I have run was last Saturday that I achieved my 12 miles in 2 hours and 13 minutes.  If I can do this, trust me, you can too--just put your mind to it.  There is nothing that you cannot do at this point in your life. Good luck to you and I would love to keep informed on your progress! You will love running.
ermath
on 11/8/07 12:14 am - Hammond, LA
Leonor:   I appreciate your encouragement; you are a model for success. . .  I, too, began walking as my chosen form of daily exercise (like most of us post-surgery) with aspirations of becoming a competitive runner.  At 400 lbs. that seemed a little lofty, and my dedication to it has waxed and waned over the past 2 years.  I had walked and jogged in a few 5Ks, but anything more serious seemed to be problematic (issues relating to redundant skin mostly).  In the meantime, I started adding other forms of cardio and weight training. . .which has certainly helped me become more physically tolerant of the rigors of running, as well as given me some self-assurance about my abilities.  In the last month, I have felt the surge and really want to keep at it.  Man, that high! Again, thanks for sharing. . .and please continue to post about your experiences ~Erin
Deanna34
on 11/6/07 4:30 am - Salem, OR

That is great!  It is not minute ... it's a big accomplishment!  Congratulations!

I have this weird "wall" I have to break through with my breathing.  Usually it takes me running about 1 mile before I feel like my lungs ease into a regular breathing pattern.  Sometimes this first mile is awful to me!  But once I break past that point, it gets much easier. 

Keep up the great work!  You'll be running your first 5K before you know it!  I bet you could do it!!!

Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

ermath
on 11/7/07 12:43 am - Hammond, LA
Deanna:   I have enjoyed your posts as you document the transformation your life has taken. . .wonderful inspiration!   Regarding walls, I have a routine of power walking the first mile (~4.5 mph pace), and then I feel strong enough to break into a jog.  Oddly enough, I feel far more winded from the walking that the jogging is a welcomed relief. . .    Building to a 5K is top priority, and I have been upping my other aerobic routines (step classes, resistance and time on cardio machines,etc.) to help with this. Thanks again! ~Erin  
MaryS
on 11/6/07 8:57 am - Long Island, NY

Congratulations!  Running that first mile is huge - I remember when I ran a mile the first time.  Don't forget that all of us that are doing the 5ks, 10ks and marathon had to run that first mile!  Btw, I agree with Deanna about getting through the first mile.  In the beginning it would take me about a mile or so before I would start to feel comfortable and then, believe it or not, it got a little easier.

You are doing fantastic and you already are a RUNNER!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

ermath
on 11/7/07 12:57 am - Hammond, LA
Mary:   Although commemorating little milestones (pun intended) seems a bit premature, I'll gladly solicit encouragement from others whenever I can.  Additionally, thank you for your kind words and detailed accounts of journey.  It is a tremendous coup for all of us that are determined to regain ownership of our bodies to see exemplary models such as yourself. ~Erin
victoria R.
on 11/6/07 11:53 pm - goose creek, SC
Hey Big congratulations...... I actually just ran my first mile 2 weeks ago and then I got up to 1 1/2 last night so I completely understand your feeling.  I have never had any desire to run and it's not my main cardio activity but I'm challenging myself to do it because someday I'd like to run a 5k and finish.. I just discovered this forum and I'm really loving it, lots of motivation here.. Good luck to you... vicki
Most Active