Kidney lesion from weight lifting??

horizontallychallenged
on 11/5/07 7:36 am, edited 11/5/07 7:41 am
I was walking 5 miles daily on the tred, riding 8 miles daily on the bike and lifting weights varying from 20 pounds to 60 pounds 3x weekly. I work with a weight trainer so I'm not just randomly lifting.  I started having R kidney pain so I cut back on the weights, it continued to hurt so I cut my walking & bike to 2 miles daily each without relief. I finally went and had an ultrasound done on my kidneys, I had a lesion on my R kidney. After 3 months of rest I had another CT done and the lesion had healed.  My question is, have any of you had this type of problem? What do you think I did to cause this? The doctors think it's from exercising ... how? Any ideas would be helpful, thank you for everything.

Darn these infant sized shorts!
Meeting a Paramedic can be a shocking experience ~ "Web Medic"   

Scott William
on 11/5/07 8:28 pm
First of all let me say that I have no clue what the answer is.  Do you drink a lot of water?  I know that it helps with kidney function.  Good luck
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
horizontallychallenged
on 11/5/07 10:05 pm
Hello Scott, thank you for the communication. As of now the lesion has healed. I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else & what the cause was. I drink 80+ ounces of lemoned water daily plus take 80 gms of liquid protein dialy along with vitamins and meals. I don't think my rib would have injuried my kidney, I believe they are more protected than that but ... I don't know, I would just like to start back up without being afraid it will happen again.

JeremyGentles
on 11/5/07 10:00 pm - Johnson City, TN
Are you diabetic?

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

horizontallychallenged
on 11/5/07 10:09 pm
Good morning Jeremy, thank you for the communication, No, I had my blood tested just 2 weeks ago, I am not diabetic. The only thing it showed was a slightly elevated cholesterol which shocked me, must be the way I have been consuming my proteins.  I'll just start up again, we'll see what happens. I hope I don't have some funky shaped rib that's poking my kidney or something.

JeremyGentles
on 11/5/07 10:17 pm - Johnson City, TN
Unless you have renal disease or are diabetic I would not think exercise of any kind could cause a kidney lesion.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

horizontallychallenged
on 11/6/07 1:19 am
That's why I had the ultrasound and CT done, to rule out kidney disease, stones, old injury, my kidneys are fine.  The doctors seem to think that my workout some how injured my kidney ... I don't understand that, like you, I feel that exercise can't hurt me. I'm 15 pounds within my goal weight, I'm toned up well, unless I have a funky rib, I don't see the way exercise could hurt me. Well, thank you for trying to help me figure this out. I'll just start my routine again and see what happens, I would recognize that pain again quickly and stop.

Sciguy
on 11/29/07 4:22 pm
Interesting, I 'm getting an ultrasound tomorrow for a kidney lesion.  I used to do a lot of treadmill work too.  I had no kidney pain, my problem was painfull, swollen ankles.  Nobody has explained them yet.  I don't know much about my kidney lesion yet.  Just found it recently.  I'll ask someone about exercise as the possible cause. Has anyone got any suggestions about the swollen ankles?  All tests done are normal.  Doctors can't explain cause but have told me to lay off the treadmill.
Most Active