Calorie requirements

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/07 8:50 pm
Hey everyone, Just curious about something and wanted to see what everyone else is doing. I'm over a year out, at goal, and exercise is a huge part of my life. I run every other day, rock climb, hike, lift weights, etc. My calorie requirements are quite a bit higher than most WLS patients, around the 2000-2400 range due to all my exercise. I've noticed that others who have had surgery who don't exercise as much eat much less, as in almost nothing. What about all of you who exercise a lot? Do you eat a bunch more due to the exercise? And how do you get those calories in? (ie primarily protein, carbs, etc?) I eat lots of carbs and have, at times, gotten flak from other wls people because of it. I'm to the point where I don't mention what I eat since it becomes such a point of contention. But I've found that it works really well for me and gives me much more energy. Protein alone just doesn't do it when I'm hiking up a 14,000 foot mountain!
carlaplank
on 11/5/07 9:53 pm - Albany, NY
You are correct in noticing an almost religious zeal in the "no carb" way of thinking.  However, you are also right in that "no carb" dosen't work for people who exercise voratiously (sp? - where is SPELL CHECK?).  I was contantly fighting a carb craving so much so that I would "fail" everyday around 3:00 and eat somnething stupid.  Then I spoke to a personal trainer about my metabolism and diet.  We added more calories (in 5 small meals instead of the 3 meals no snacking gospel of my WLS Group) and and added in good complex carbs (but for me still no white because it is a trigger) and my 3:00 candy has all but ceased.  My struggle is much less and I get alot more out of my workouts.  So find out what works for you, use common sense,  and keep climbing!! Carla
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/07 10:32 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Hi, PJ.  I don't exercise quite as much as you, but I've been averaging 2300-2400 calories per day for about 3 months now.  I'm trying to bring my daily average down to 1900-2000 (I think if I do that I can lose the last 15-30 pounds I'd like to drop before plastics).  I aim for 250 grams of carbs per day, 125 grams of protein, and 55 grams of fat (that's based on a 2000 calorie per day plan).  In terms of exercise, I lift weights 2x per week for upper and lower body, and do 40-60 minutes of cardio 3-5x per week.  So I estimate that I burn 1350-1950 calories per week through exercise.   Carbs are the most readily available source of energy for our bodies, plus I've read that they are the only energy source our brains can use!  I do feel like I eat more carbs because of my exercise routine.  And as you say, protein just doesn't cut it sometimes.  I think that has to do with the fact that it takes our bodies longer to break down proteins and convert them into usable energy.  So we cannot quickly replenish our energy stores by eating protein, but we can do that by eating carbs.  Complex carbs are still the best because they will provide a long, sustained supply of energy, without the sudden spike in blood sugar.  Fats are somewhere in the middle - converted to energy after carbs but before protein... Anyway, I try not to pay too much attention to the carb naysayers - they do what works for them, I do what works for me.  Clearly you've found a food plan that works for you - I say stick with it and keep up the great work! Kellie
wjoegreen
on 11/5/07 11:51 pm - Colonial Heights, VA

Hey,  if you're at goal and you are healthy and happy,.....who gives a rip about what others say and think.  You got results and are sucessful.  Go You!!!

I am at 14 months and am not at goal by 30 pounds and have been stalled at 230ish since 9 July.  I have hit some walls with energy and not being able to improve my distance or time as well as others I read about on the Boards ove rthe same time period.  Yeah, i'm a little frustrated but not beaten.  I am currently trying to reduce my carbs because I was taking in about 250 to 300 a day.  I overcame my last period of being exhausted by getting my protein intake up to 180 to 200 gms a day but am concerned that maybe I am taking in too much.  So your post inspired me some that maybe I am being too concerned about standards.  I am trying to get my 10K time to 1 hr or less. My latest official time was 1:07 on Oct 13.  I jogged an entire 10K once since then and it seems to be getting harder rather than easier. I registered for a 8K this weekend that I am not doing because I just am not ready and would rather work this out and prepare for my anniversary (of my first) 10K in April 08.

Have you been through these training walls and how did you determine what to adjust/increase and when to improve your performance or do you just keep pushing and eventaully the body responds ( I am age 50 and at 230-224 lbs) ,...or are you OK with me asking??  

Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Scott William
on 11/6/07 12:10 am

You have some great answers already.  I have run a few marathons and when I give advice on running one, I caution two things.  One, you will need carbs.  There is no other way around it.  Storred carbs will only last a couple hours at most.  For me and the 5 hour marathon, I need to make up for the other 3-31/2 hours. The second thing thing that I caution is that many first time marathoners report that they actually gain weight while trianing.  Part of this could be the muscle building in the legs but a lot of it is the increased appetite that comes with distance training.  The day I started training for my marathon last June, I stopped losing weight.  I am about 5 lbs heavier in the year since.   If I tracked my calories my guess is that it would be in the 3500-4000 range.  (explains why I am not losing anymore).

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active