1st Post op workout

lilloneal
on 11/2/07 11:31 am, edited 11/2/07 11:35 am - Dallas, TX
Hello everyone. I had my surgery on Oct. 12, 2007. And I've returned to work a week and a half ago on full scedule. Thursday I've started my first workout but I think I'm moving too fast. I started by working out my biceps and  triceps and also tried crunches but quickly regretted doing that. My stomach couldn't handle it. I felt sharp pains and I think I should stick with walking. Does anyone have any suggestions???? I really want to get started on my midsection more than anywhere else.
libbyw
on 11/4/07 4:28 am - Australia
While I've not yet had my surgery (still a week out) from what I've read most people aren't allowed to start lifting weights till around the 4-6 week mark. I'll be interested to hear other replies because I LOVE lifting weights and know I'll be going stir-crazy to get back at it again. Libby
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/07 8:32 pm
I wasn't cleared for weights until I was 8 weeks out, so maybe you should hold off for a few more weeks. Or at least ask your Dr. what he says. You have to remember you are still healing and there are areas that are still swollen, so take it easy. I only walked the first couple of months, mostly because I was suffering from dizzy spells and was afraid I was going to pass out if I did too much! I'm now a year out, at goal and exercise is a huge part of my life. So, don't feel like you have to become a world class athlete overnight - you'll get there but it takes time and patience. Good luck!
Christine H.
on 11/6/07 2:37 am - Cumberland, MD
 I am 2 weeks out today (Date of WLS: 10/23/07)  It is taking all I've got to juggle the eating and water schedule.  I did start walking right away, and am working up to "brisk walks" but for now, all I can do is manage a "stroll".  My Dr. stated I couldn't do any ab work for 6 month.  I will start using 3 or 5 lbs weights when I walk to aliviate the juggle of my triceps, but again-not until the Dr says ok.
Earl C.
on 11/6/07 10:20 am - Circleville, OH
I don't think a little light bicep and tricep work will kill anyone after surgery, but crunches are a big no-no, unless you really want a hernia.  Don't worry about your abs. You'll get more out of walking than working your abs right now, for a least the first 6 weeks or so. Good luck Earl
Lynn C.
on 11/6/07 10:36 pm - Spring, TX
I had surgery July 23 and started walking right awayy.  At 3 weeks I started upper body resistance workout using low resistance tubes.  I began working the abs at about 6 weeks.  I tried the abs a bit earlier and had pain so I stopped.  At 15 weeks postop, I now do a full cardio and strength training program with no limitations and no problems.  The key is start slow and use gradual progression. Of course you should have physician clearance before starting!
Most Active