Toning Abdominal Muscles

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 10/30/07 11:34 am - Tucson, AZ
I found out today, quite by accident, that I have a disc in my back that is deteriorating and slipping.  I also have arthritis in my back.  I went to the Ortho to see about tailbone pain.  Anyway, she suggested that I tighten up the abdominal muscles to help my back.  Jeremy, anyone, do you have any suggestions on what a person like me with bad knees and tailbone pain can do to strengthen these muscles?
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

stitch0102
on 10/30/07 10:35 pm - Jersey Shore, PA
I would see if your doctor would send you to a physical therapist.  They would be able to give you specific exercises for your problem areas.  A problem disc isn't something to fool around with.  Doing exercises incorrectly can lead to greater problems.

September 2006...415 lbs.
April 12, 2007...surgery...285 lbs.    Goal...210     Current...181

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 10/31/07 1:05 am - Tucson, AZ
She did infact refer me to physcial therapy.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

Deanna34
on 10/31/07 1:42 am - Salem, OR

Hi Becky!

My husband has a severe arthritis condition in his back and he was told to try Yoga.  He hasn't tried it though because he's chicken!  But his doctor said it would really help him stretch out and limber up as much as possible.  Not sure about the abdominal exercises but it might not hurt to try Yoga to see if it might help you loosen up at all.

Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Most Active