My first MArathon DONE!!!

Chris S.
on 10/29/07 9:45 pm - SC
On Sunday I finished my first marathon, 10 months post-op. It was an incredible experience. It was in my hometown so I did not have to travel and more of my support crew could be there. I finished in 4hrs 47minutes averaging 11 minute miles. My goal was to start, enjoy, and finish---and I did it!!! WOW-what an incredible run. Along the way I high fived anyone with a hand up, talked with several people and traded support, I talked on my cell phone--speaker phone that is--to my Mom 1000 miles away and family and friends calling to wish me support and give me laughs when I was hurting, I never stopped once-I walked thru alot of the final beverage stations to make sure I drank enough. My support crew-there were 2 teams, actually stopped every 1/2 mile after mile 22 just to help me get going. I SOOOOOOOOO wanted to just stop in place. After mile 24 I had nothing left-nothing; no physical, no mental-and my support crew pulled me thru. The hardest was mile 26. The last .7 miles was down main street in Greenville SC (Spinx Runfest) and the finish line was no where in sight. I asked one of the bicyclist who were helping out where the finish line was, he said at the end of the road around the corner. After 25.5 miles I WANT TO SEE THE FINISH LINE DANG IT!!!! But-soon enough I rounded the bend and there were all of my support crew waiting for me with posters cheering. I stopped to give them all hugs and high fives and realized they were BEFORE the finish line, not after-so I jogged over the line and finished in 4:47......and sat down and just soaked it all in. They were giving out free massages and I got one of those---my first massage EVER in my life (always afraid to do it because of my weight)...I offered one of the massagers (?) a marraige proposal because it just felt soooooooooooooo gooooood. After the race-when I got home I weighed myself-I lost 9lbs during the marathon. I have since put back 4lbs, hydrated and eating alot of protein. The one thing I can say is Scott was right when he told me--and I also got this from his blog about the Disney marathon....start, enjoy the run, and finish---the rest is just not that important. Scott-you the man!! OK-I'm going to go lay down now.... Chris

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.....John Bingham aka The Penguin

MaryS
on 10/29/07 10:56 pm - Long Island, NY

Chris,

I've been waiting for this post  You did fantastic!  4:47 was a terrific time!  I am so happy you enjoyed the experience.  So now, would you do it again?

Congratulations!!!! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Kevin A.
on 10/30/07 12:45 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Congratulations!! Great time!! You should be very proud of yourself!!!

I'm looking forward to my date with 26.2 miles!!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Scott William
on 10/30/07 2:00 am
Way to go Chris.  You have joined a group of people who have done something pretty special.  No matter where you go or what you do for the rest of your life, you take that with you.   Keep drinking and don't be afraid to throw down a little salt and perhaps a banana.   Way to go.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Deanna34
on 10/30/07 2:09 am - Salem, OR

OK pal, you are in some serious trouble!  I had to come HERE and find out all your details???  I'm hurt!  Hee, hee!

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Earl C.
on 10/30/07 2:12 am - Circleville, OH
Awesome job Chris. Earl
Rob S.
on 10/30/07 4:04 am - DE
Chris, Awesome job.  Amazing and inspirational.  Enjoy your success. Rob
sharyn_pear
on 11/3/07 8:41 am - Australia
Wowowowow!  Wonderful!  I hope I can join this elite Marathon runner group one day!  Sharyn
Im2fun4u
on 11/3/07 2:21 pm - tacoma, WA
Thats so awesome! What a great accomplishment! Think back 10 months ago, would you have ever thought possible. Thanks for sharing and motivating!!!! Congrats!~

48lbs Lost Pre-op/19lbs of the 48lbs Lost was during 2 week Preop Clear Liquid

Most Active