Question re: first 5K

striveforhealth
on 10/28/07 10:31 am - Portsmouth, NH
Hi - My first 5K is next Satuday - 11/3.  I'm excited and nervous!  I'm finishing my Couch to 5K training this week, I have my clothes figured out and I have the music on my MP3 player!!  I think I'm ready.    One question though.  The race starts at 9 and I plan on being there at 8.  I usually have yogurt with a little fruit and Kashi for breakfast.  Any problem with doing that for Breakfast, or should I do something else?  Thanks for the help from you experienced folks!!  Becky

Check out the video on youtube that my partner made about my WLS journey!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8vV0N6CxA

MaryS
on 10/28/07 10:40 am - Long Island, NY
Becky, That sounds like a great breakfast; especially if that is what you usually have.  Race day is not the time to try something new.   Best of luck, Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/07 4:53 pm - 5K from Everywhere, MN
Congrats on getting through your training - you're going to love the race!! :) Echoing the previous:  sounds like a good idea - good balance of carb and protein, do what you normally do.  Especially if you're eating just before you arrive at the race - you don't want to try something different and have a reaction one way or another during the race.  Gas ha**** me on more than one occasion during a hard training run because I "forget" myself.....I try to stick to routine on race mornings.  And with 5K's we're working hard, but from what I've read and understood - we're not working for such a long duration that we have to be more mindful of eating more carb vs. more protein, that kind of thing, like marathon runners.  A balance of complex carbs and protein is the way to go. And you'll probably find that you'll have "goodies" waiting for you after the race, like banana or a protein bar, in case you find a need to re-charge. The more you race, the more you'll get a feel for what works.  So excited for you!  Enjoy it! :)
Rob S.
on 10/28/07 10:06 pm - DE
That breakfast sounds great!   I have the same breakfast every morning for the last four years (oatmud - oatmeal, soymilk, flax seed meal, pumpkin seed granola, unjury protein powder, and cinammon).  Make sure you have it early enough before the race that you can take care of business.  I also like to have at least 20 oz. of water prior to starting a race for hydration.   Enjoy the race! Rob
striveforhealth
on 10/28/07 10:16 pm - Portsmouth, NH
Thanks for the replies!  I'll let you know how it goes!

Check out the video on youtube that my partner made about my WLS journey!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8vV0N6CxA

Scott William
on 10/29/07 4:54 am
Here is another vote for, "If if's what you usually do".  I try to keep what has worked during training.  Many people change things on race day only to experience gastric problems.  I would think that it's ecpecially true with weight loss surgery patients. 
Most Active