Last 10 Miles

MaryS
on 10/22/07 10:41 pm - Long Island, NY
On Saturday my training run was the last 10 miles of the NYC marathon.  I was a little nervous about the run as the roads weren't closed, but it turns out that wasn't a problem at all.  There were about 300 of us doing the run, and it was so much fun!  People even cheered for us along the way.  The cutest were some kids cheering out their apartment window.  It was such a thrill, I can't even imagine how exciting it will be on the day of the marathon.   I was also happy that I had a good run; I did the 10 miles in 1:52.  I was a pace leader for the 10:30-11:00 group.  I was nervous about that, but it turned out to be a lot of fun and movtivation.   Only 12 more days until the marthon!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Dan_P.
on 10/22/07 11:25 pm - Baltimore, MD

Hey Mary. Congrats on your success. Sounds like the marathon will be a stone cold blast. Question for you long distance runners from a running relative newbie. Is the general line of thinking once you can run a certain distance, you should be able to run more. I remember reading/heard somewhere once you can run a half you can run a full, once you can run a 5K you can run a 10K, etc.

I'm interested because I finished my first 5K a couple of weeks ago and I'm starting to stretch it out a little bit more. Signed up to do a 5 mile run on the second Sunday in November. This morning I ran for the longest I've done so far. Did 4 and a quarter miles in about 40 minutes. I feel the leap to 5 miles, and the inevitable 10K aren't that far away. Am I being delusional? Should I reign it in a piece? I have questions.

Deanna34
on 10/23/07 1:42 am - Salem, OR

Hi Dan! I think you could easily do a 10K.  I ran a few 5Ks and then prodded myself into signing up for a 10K.  I had NEVER run that far before.  But the day of the race, I easily made it through.  I was awe struck that I just doubled my running distance and it wasn't hard at all.  It's amazing what you can do once you set your mind to it. 

You should pick out a 10K and just sign up for it ... you will be able to do it!!!  If you ran 4 miles, you can definately run 5.  And if you do that, you're almost to the 10K.  I honestly think you wouldn't have a problem.  Running 4.25 miles in 40 minutes is awesome!   That's a great pace! 

Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Scott William
on 10/23/07 1:57 am
Dan, What most of the experts say is that if you can run a 5K, you can run a marathon.  Not that you should do it the next day but if you can do the 5K, you can build up to the marathon.  Most programs are in the 4 to 6 month range.  The one I started with had first week runs of 3,4,3 and 5 miles.  That does not seem like a tough start.  By week 12 you are around 6,12, 6 and 16ish.  The increase is so gradual that you barely notice.  If it is something you want to do, go for it.  It is a time commitment but well worth it. 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Rob S.
on 10/23/07 5:06 am - DE
Hi Dan, I certainly hope your not delusional.  I have signed up for the AmeriHealth 10k Over the Bridge Challenge on Nov. 4th.  I have never done a 10k, but have done over twenty 5ks past year. My attitude is why not try it, I might even enjoy it.  If that one is successful, I plan on doing the Turkey Trot (10k) on Thanksgiving.  Then gearing up for a half-marathon in March 2008. I think you can do it! Rob
MaryS
on 10/23/07 3:44 pm - Long Island, NY

Dan,

First of all, congralations on your great weight loss!  I looked at your profile and you have done fantastic.  Keep you the great work.

I agree with everyone else, I don't think your are being delusional.  I think the 5 mile run in totally within reach. You have 2 1/2 more weeks to train for it and you should be in great shape for it.  You are right the 10k won't be far behind.  I think you have the running bug.  You'll be planning on a marathon before you know it.   Ask all the questions you have here.  There are several runners who post regularly (as you have probably figured out already. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Deanna34
on 10/23/07 1:43 am - Salem, OR
Great job Mary!  That is so sweet that the little kids were cheering you on!  It's amazing how much some positive reinforcement can make.  You have a great pace ... you will do awesome!  I'm so inspired by you! Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

MaryS
on 10/23/07 3:45 pm - Long Island, NY

Deanna,

A little cheering sure does go a long way.  That's one of the reasons I'm excited the NYC marathon will be my first, the crowds are supposed to be so great.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Scott William
on 10/23/07 1:58 am
Good for you.  I can't wait for the race report.  I am going to the trials the day before.  Are you going to that?
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MaryS
on 10/23/07 3:47 pm - Long Island, NY

Scott,

Thanks.  I am hoping to make it to the trials.  My husband and I are actually staying in the city Fri-Sat.  Are you traveling in for the day or staying in the city?  Do you want to try to meet up Saturday morning? 

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Most Active