Arch Pain

carlaplank
on 10/17/07 11:09 pm - Albany, NY
Hi all, I do alot of elliptical work and some running, for a total of about 2 hours a day (run/walk for maybe 30 mins of it) for a couple of years now.  I have started to get some pain in the arch of my right foot. Have I just overworked it or do you think I don't have proper support.  Kinda Vague I know. Thanks, Carla
Scott William
on 10/18/07 3:05 am
For Christmas last year, my mom got me a git certificate for Frank's Shoes in Middletown, NY.  (That is about a 2 hour trip for you)  Anyway, I went there and got arch supports which I have been wearing ever since.  To be honest, I have not noticed that they work because I didn't notice any problems before.  There were a few people who came in while I was getting fitted that swear by them.  I certainly don't think it would hurt to try.  Perhaps you can find a running shoe store in your area that can suggest something.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
carlaplank
on 10/18/07 5:06 am - Albany, NY
Thanks for the tip.  I did go to Fleet Feet here in albany for a shoe fitting, they video taped my running (such as it is) for the pronation thing and proper toe box, but I wasn't having any arch problems.  I'll give them a call. THANK YOU, Carla
(deactivated member)
on 10/19/07 5:12 am
You could be getting plantar facititis.  Where there is a strain on your tendons running on the bottom of your foot.  I had it and it took 1 yr to go away.  This was before my surgery.  You can look it up online.  And they will tell you to : 1. take motrin to reduce swelling(which you can't do) maybe celebrex? 2. ice it 3. stretch it I was doing the above and then added physical therapy. And got custom orthodicts from the poditrist. (which are wonderful) I had to do all these things together to get relief.  I still wear the orthodicts in my shoes- love them. To ice your foot you can freeze a water bottle and then roll it back and forth over the bottom of your foot.  Take care of it. 
Cami H
on 10/25/07 1:04 am - Minneapolis, MN
Like the other person suggested, you may have plantar fascitis (sp?).  Is it worst in the morning, or after you have been sitting a while, and then you stand up?  That's a sign.  I would go have it checked out with a doctor.  I had it years ago, and it took me a long time to get rid of it.  Custom shoe inserts is what did it for me.  I don't wear them anymore, but wore them for a long time until I was healed. Good luck!  It's a frustrating injury to have, because it can really limit your activity for it to heal. Cami
Most Active