knee pain

rmrowland_74
on 10/17/07 3:27 am
I have been running to train for my first half marathon. I had a knee injury and cartilage repair about 18 years ago however my knee is starting to hurt. Last week I decided to rest my knee and I did the eliptical 3 miles a day then I ran twice this week and my knee is sore. I have been elevating and iceing my knee at night. Any suggestions I really want to continue running however I do not want to injure my knee and not be able to run at all. Thanks again for any suggestions and advice.
Scott William
on 10/17/07 2:32 pm
Obviously, I have no idea about the specifics of your problem.  I can say that last year while training for the Disney Marathon, I had some severe pain behind my knee.  My primary care doc, thought it was a something and sent me for an MRI.  It turned out to be weak knee muscles.  After 10 physical therapy sessions the pain was gone.  A year later, I still do the exercises occationally and have not had an issue since.  I guess my advice is to get it checked out by a pro and don't worry.  It may be nothing big. Good luck
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MaryS
on 10/17/07 10:40 pm - Long Island, NY
I second Scott's suggestion.  I hurt my hip at the beginning of July and physical therapy has made a huge difference.  Now my knee is starting to act up a little and we are going to start working on that.  Go to the doctor and see waht he suggests.  You definitely don't want to get to the point where you can't run or exercise.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active