Did your program have an exercise component?

HouseRD
on 10/16/07 2:03 am

Hi! I am a dietitian at a gastric bypass facility and I'm looking into starting an exercise component into our program. I was wondering if anyone had this experience in your program and what you thought? I am a personal trainer as well and was wondering what you'd be looking for related to fitness after surgery?? Any response would be helpful and greatly appreciated!!

Scott William
on 10/17/07 2:06 am
I would guess that most people would be interested in toning up anything that will sag.  There is a lot that can't be helped without surgery but occationally, some arm or leg work will benefit.  Also, since many heavy people have strong legs, keeping them strong and muscular will help to burn calories.  There are many people that come to these boards and get jazzed about running.  Perhaps a goal of completing a 5K, 10K or more would benefit many people. Good luck
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
(deactivated member)
on 10/17/07 8:52 am
I think that's a great idea! I was told to walk by my Dr's office and that's it, but I was highly motivated and had been active in the past, so my idea of exercise was more than walking. I now run and hike/rock climb, etc. I think the thing that motivates me is to keep active so I can do the things I love, like hiking. I did start a hiking group through my Dr's support group and one of the things I tried to emphasis was that it was a safe place for them to be and most of all, to have fun. I remember once when i tried to join a hiking group (long before surgery) I was told I couldn't because of my weight. and that colored me for years - I was scared to try anything after that for fear of more comments. I think that is a big deal for larger folks, the fear of what people will say when they see them trying to exercise. I think too that making it fun, and not just exercise, can help. Have them work out one day, then play a game of softball or salsa dancing the next. Just something that incorporates it in their life naturally. That to me makes the workouts worth it if I know I'll be doing something fun! I hope this helps, these are what work best for me.
HouseRD
on 10/22/07 2:57 am
Thank you so much for your reply and insight. I agree that exercise needs to be fun and not always be a gym workout! I like your idea with starting outside activity groups, maybe that would be a great place to start. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post!
Most Active