OMG! a 10k...I didn't think I was ready

Im2fun4u
on 10/15/07 1:11 am - tacoma, WA
This weekend my boyfriend took me away for my Birthday (32nd) weekend. We went to a small town in Oregon called Astoria. When I was looking up fun stuff to do while we were there I saw they were having a 10k walk/run. http://www.greatcolumbiacrossing.com/ . It goes over the Columbia River on a 4.1 mile bridge. I had decided I would walk it.  On Saturday when I went to sign up for the race, I was debating whether to sign up for the run or the walk. I wanted to be timed and I had walked a 10k last week with friends so walking a 10k was no challenge anymore. I was thinking out loud to my boyfriend just saying I was scared to run the 10k but knew I could at least run 3 miles(training to run 5k). My new mantra since surgery is "Fear will not stop me." He grabbed a form and said " I am doing this with you." I was in shocked, He is in good shape for a couch potatoe, but c'mon. He said he thought he could do it and didn't want me to finish alone. It was a beautiful day, sun, which was a miracle in itself. I told him my goal was to finish by 1:30:00 and he needed to push me. Well we started out at  his pace, which was a little fast for me but I kept going. Had to stop a few times to walk and then told him I needed to go at my pace. He stayed with me the whole. We walked the incline at the ship channel which is pretty big but then ran the last 1.5 miles or so. They were calling out times at each mile but honestly it wasn't calculating to me where we were at. When we ran across the finish line it was 1:19:25. I could not believe it! I am still in shock. For me this was a miracle. I am only a little over 10 weeks out from surgery. I couldn't have done it without him, or at least in that amount of time. I cried at the end, I have my life back and he was there to celebrate that with me!  

48lbs Lost Pre-op/19lbs of the 48lbs Lost was during 2 week Preop Clear Liquid

Deanna34
on 10/15/07 1:25 am - Salem, OR

Hi there!  Awesome job on completing your 10K and at a great time too!!!  You did it! 

I really wanted to do the Columbia Crossing too because I'm in Oregon ... but timing didn't work out.  It sounds like a really neat run though ... maybe next year I'll make it out there!

Great job!  There's no going back now ... you're a running addict!  Ha, ha!

Deanna

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Im2fun4u
on 10/20/07 6:22 am - tacoma, WA
Deanna, You have to run this next year! Crossing the River is lots of motivation, and the views are a huge bonus! Your right I am addicted! Liz

Scott William
on 10/15/07 3:24 am
Congrats to you.  You did something that I didn't do.  When I signed up for my first race I had a 5K or a 10K choice.  I took the 5 because I didn't think that I could finish the 10.  Way to go in challanging yourself.  Keep up the good work.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Kevin A.
on 10/15/07 11:22 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
What a great run!! You should be very proud of yourself!! Keep pushing yourself you can do great things!!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
MaryS
on 10/15/07 11:00 pm - Long Island, NY
WOW - congratulations, you did a great job!  Just think, you are only 10 weeks after your surgery, and you did a 10k!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

sharyn_pear
on 10/19/07 5:26 pm - Australia
Congratulations!  What a great story! Thank you!  I am in my first 10km road race tomorrow and I'm starting to get a little edgy over it.  That was just what I needed
Highest ever:  around 253lbs (stopped weighing myself at that point)
Current:  134lbs
Im2fun4u
on 10/20/07 6:16 am - tacoma, WA
Good Luck on your 10k.....it's such an awesome feeling to accomplish a goal! Glad I motivated you! Liz

Most Active