Resumeing exercise after surgery

MsApryl
on 10/11/07 10:08 am - Pocono summit, PA
Hello all, I have a question I forgot to ask my doctor and I was hoping someone here could answer. I just had my gallbladder removed 10 days ago by laproscopic surgery. I am feeling really good right now the pain from the gallbladder was so much more intense than anything I ever had before. Went to the ER and they removed it the next morning. Anyway besides getting better I lost 7 pounds that I was stuck at for the whole summer. I have been going to the gym three to four times a week and was doing great. Lifting and cardio and really get muscle tone back. Even my bat wings were getting smaller. Now I was told I can go back to the tread mill and light exercise no lifting over 20 pounds. I just forgot to ask her if I could do abdominal exercises. Any thoughts would be greatly appreiated. Also how long do you have to stop lifting before you lose what you gained lifting.
  Happines is not a birthright.You make your own happiness through your attitude and the way you behave.Happiness is a choice. It takes daily practice to make it a habbit.
JeremyGentles
on 10/15/07 12:25 am - Johnson City, TN
Hello, First, it could be several weeks before you can go back to heavy weight training and/or performing abdominal exercises after gallbladder surgery, but you should give the docs office a call and ask what their recommendations are. Second, when you return to weight training after being out several weeks you may be a little weaker and you will certainly be sore, but you should be back to where you left off fairly rapidly. If you were talking a couple of months that would be a different story but with only 2-3 weeks off you be back to where you were in no time.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

MsApryl
on 10/15/07 3:40 am - Pocono summit, PA
Than you for your reply it is encouraging to know it won't be long.
  Happines is not a birthright.You make your own happiness through your attitude and the way you behave.Happiness is a choice. It takes daily practice to make it a habbit.
Earl C.
on 10/15/07 10:48 am, edited 10/15/07 12:09 pm - Circleville, OH
I just had Laproscopic hernia surgery on Sept 17. I just did my first real ab work today and only a few sets, about 4 weeks later.  Doc pretty much told me light cardio as soon as I feel like it, light weight training as soon as I feel like it. Heavy stuff wait 4 to 6 weeks depending on how I feel. He told me it would feel funny for a few months, but there was no way the hernia will pop out again (unless he missed the site, which is another story). I'm still building up on my regular workout weights. Some things I'm probably 75 % of pre surgery on. Some things I'm not even at my old warmup weights. I'm building up very slowly on the real heavy stuff like squats just to play it safe.
Most Active