? for those who spin

Mary_W
on 10/11/07 7:23 am - Brandon, MS
I'm trying to work up to trying the spin class.  I'm a bit overwhelmed by the idea of an hour class...and especially one with so many 'trendy' people in it.  I've been working up my time on the elliptical machine--and i'm up to 45 minutes with intensity of 6 (out of 10) and I generally go around 3 to 3 1/2 miles during that 45 minutes.  At what point do you decide you're cardiovascularly fit enough to try the spin class?  I don't want to make a fool of myself...but everyone always looks like they're having such a great ride!  any suggestions on preparing for the class?  (steps to get fit enough to do the class, i guess is what i'm asking). mary

Deanna34
on 10/11/07 8:38 am - Salem, OR
Hi Mary! I think you're ready to Spin!  I started Spinning fairly early on before I lost very much weight and I was able to do just fine.  You don't have to turn the tension up on the bike if you don't feel you can.  Just keep it at a lower gear and you can kind of back it off if you need to.  No one will really care or even notice for that matter.  My opinion is that if you're pedaling for the whole class, that is great!  And as you get used to it, you can increase your tension on the gears more and more.  You will sweat a lot but you'll feel very proud for doing it.  I think you should try it! Let us know if you try it!  I think you'll do great! Deanna

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/07 9:10 am - Miramar Beach, FL

I agree with Deanna, go for it!  Spinning is a wonderful exercise, because it's very low impact, yet gives a great cardio workout.  You determine the level you want to exercise, based on the resistance and the cadence (pedalling speed).  The absolute best way to exercise at the right level FOR YOU is with a heart rate monitor.  I got a basic Polar brand monitor from Walmart for about $40. 

Don't be surprised if your bottom is a bit sore after the first few classes.  That's common, regardless of your size/weight.  It sometimes takes a little getting used to.  Just be careful when you come out of the seat, that you don't just drop back to the saddle.  You have to ease yourself back down, or you can actually bruise your bottom.   (Oh, and I started right about where you are now.  I was working for about 45" 3-4 times a week on the elliptical).

Give it a shot!  I love it!

Tami

Becky_M
on 10/12/07 5:22 am - Northwest, GA

Just get there about 10 - 15 minutes early and the instructor should show you how to set up your bike and how everything works. Remember, everyone was a newbie at one time! Be sure to bring a sweat towel and a bottle of water. There will also be bottles of cleaner around and you’ll be expected to wipe your bike down after your ride (a lot of folks wipe down their bikes before they ride, too). They should provide the rags to clean with.

As far as being fit enough to participate, I agree with the others. You adjust your bike to the intensity you want and you can back off at any time you need to. Go for it; I’ll bet you love it.

Becky

Mary_W
on 10/12/07 7:59 am - Brandon, MS
thanks to everyone for the advice.  i really think that next week i'll give it a try.  i've been thinking about it for a few weeks---just hearing the thumping of the music through the wall makes me want to get in there... heh.   just have to work up that courage! :)  thanks again.. mary

Kevin A.
on 10/13/07 10:28 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Everyone else has already gave you the best advice!! When I started spin class I was the biggest person in the class now I'm one of the fittest person in the class. You well be great and you have fun too!!

Best Wishes!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Most Active