hip bursitis - HELP!

dnw0523
on 10/10/07 12:55 pm - kensington, Canada
I believe I have developed hip bursitis. I can't get into see my doc till the 30th of October.I have 2 major questions : 1 - What should I take for an anti-inflammatory? Am I correct in thinking that after RNY surgery that we are NOT allowed to take any forms of ibuprofen? 2 - I'm pretty sure this injury was caused by running.I began a running program about 2 months ago.The pain began after that and is gradually getting much worse.I have come so far with my running and I'm scared (and don't want to!)to take a break from it .  How do I get it under control without affecting my trainning program? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks  Donna
MaryS
on 10/10/07 11:01 pm - Long Island, NY

Donna,

I had a similar problem - they said it was bursitis or tendonitis in my hip.  I went a sports orthopedist and he sent me to a physical therapist.  I was told to ice my hip a couple of times a day (to help with the inflammation since we can't take anti-inflammatories).  I didn't run for a couple of weeks and started back slowly.  The doctor was adamant about taking a break from the running.  The injury needs time to heal.  The biggest thing my physical therapist recommended - stretching, stretching and more stretching.  The second big recommendation for a runner was rolling - see here for examples:  http://www.youcanbefit.com/ROLLER.pdf Best of luck in your recovery.   Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active