5th Half Marathon

MaryS
on 10/7/07 11:22 am - Long Island, NY

Yesterday I did my fifth half marathon. I can't believe I've actually done 5 half marathon races. This race was part of the marathon training program. It was brutally hot and humid yesterday and I was really suffering during the race. I really fought hard to finish the race, I was so happy that I was able to fini****! I completed the race in 2:31:17 which was an 11:32 pace.  Only 4 weeks from today until the marathon!  I can't believe I am doing this!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Rob S.
on 10/7/07 10:50 pm - DE
Great job.  Keep up the hard work.  Yesterday was brutal to run.  They actually shut down the Chicago Marathon and there was another fatality in the Army 10-mile run in Viriginia. Run hard and smart. Rob
MaryS
on 10/10/07 11:03 pm - Long Island, NY

Rob,

You are right about the run hard and smart part; it is important!  Wasn't it awful about Chicago?!

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Scott William
on 10/7/07 11:07 pm
Way to go Mary.  The half is a tough race.  Congrats on a good time.  I forgot what marathon you are doing again?  Keep up the good work.   Just as I was starting to ramp up my training (trying to squeez in the Hartford marathon next week) for the goofy races at Disney,  I am going to shut things down for a week because I feel run down and my knee hurts.  Minor setbacks.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MaryS
on 10/10/07 11:08 pm - Long Island, NY
Scott, I doing the NYC marathon on 11/4 - it's always been a dream and I can't believe it's becoming a reality! It's good that you are listening to your body.  I think it is hard for us to take a break because of the fear of falling back to old habits, I know it is for me.  However, if we don't listen to our bodies we won't be able to do anything.  Good for you and good that you realize it's a minor setback.  I had one this week as well.  When I ran Monday morning, I ended up falling.  It was really dark and I tripped on an uneven sidewalk.  My knee is a little sore, so I am resting it for the big run this weekend.  I know that a couple of missed runs won't be the end of the world and the long run is what is important at this stage so that is what I am working towards! I hope you knee if feeling better. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Deanna34
on 10/8/07 3:53 am - Salem, OR

Mary, you're my hero!!!!  You are so awesome! 

I'm working towards my first half marathon in June next year.  I've done a bunch of 5Ks, an 8K trail run, and a 10K.  My fitness coach has me doing this grueling workout routine to build my endurance for the half marathon. 

Don't you just find yourself amazed that it's actually YOU doing this!  I almost feel like it's some weird sort of "outer body" experience when it's over ... like, how in the world did I just do that???  But it's an amazing sense of accomplishment!

You should be very proud of youself!  I really admire you!

Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

MaryS
on 10/10/07 11:10 pm - Long Island, NY
Deanna, Sounds like you will be in great shape for your half marathon!   Yes, I am amazed that I am actually doing this!  Even after as many races as I've done, I was on the verge of tears crossing the finish line last Saturday. You should be proud of yourself too!:)  We have really done a 180 degree turnaround. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Kevin A.
on 10/8/07 3:53 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Great job Mary!!! Great times!!! I might be doing the Long Beach 1/2 marathon next weekend!! I still trying to decide if I want to do it or not!! But reading about your race makes me want to do it!! I can't believe I doing this too!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
MaryS
on 10/10/07 11:11 pm - Long Island, NY

Kevin,

So, are you going for the 1/2 marathon this weekend?  I have a 20 mile run Saturday.  Talk about not believing I am doing this!

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Kevin A.
on 10/11/07 5:34 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
I'm still undecided!! I'm running 8 miles with my L.A. Marathon group on Saturday! I don't know it I want to or can do 13.1 more on Sunday!! It still sounds crazy to even say 8 miles & 13 miles!! What has happen to me!!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Most Active