new to forum, looking for 1st gym

Patricia Hagmaier
on 10/7/07 8:20 am - Wehonah, NJ
Hi Everone, My name is Trish and I am new to this board.  I am 8 weeks out of surgery and have been off and on walking, due to back pain prior I struggled quite a bit.  However, I was so excited when I went into my doctor Thur and found out that I am down 46 lbs.  I was given clearance to do both heavier cardio and lift weights. I am nervous, scared, I am also quitting smoking at the same time, which I know the excersise will help. I just have to find a gym I can pay month to month now.  My dietician said no curves not enough cardio so I have to find a real gym.  I have to go month to month due to finances. Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all and any help you can give me before I get to the gym to get me going would be great. God bless Trish
Earl C.
on 10/7/07 10:39 am - Circleville, OH
Hi Trish, Welcome. I'm not a big fan of curves, but as long as you don't have to sign a contract and can go month to month, it's a good place to start until you can find a real gym. Just do your walking for cardio and treat Curves as your weight training 3 days a week. When you think you need a bigger challenge...find that real gym. Good luck Earl
Rob S.
on 10/7/07 11:04 pm - DE
Just a tip when looking at gyms.  Go at the normal time that you think you will work out.  Some gyms are packed at certain hours, and that can be quite intimidating.  Check out the staff and make sure that they are engaged with the clients.   Check out the schedule.  Are they open Sundays?  How early do they open, and how late before they close?  Do they a pool?  Do they have enough equipment or do you see people waiting to grab a spot?  Do they limit the time you are allowed on a piece of equipment? I travel 1/2 hour to 40 minutes one way every day to get to my gym.  It is definitely worth the commute.  I call it my castle.  I have been going for over four years.  It's awesome.  They have seven pools (3 indoor).  They have all sorts of classes at all sorts of time schedules.  I never thought I would take a class but now I prefer them because it helps with my attendance.  The personal trainers are all over the place, helping you with form and motivation.  It is not uncommon for me to be running on the track, and all of the sudden one of the trainers is running next to me saying that she wants me to run the next lap about 10 seconds faster. Don't sign a long-term contract until your sure that you enjoy the gym.   You really don't want it to gather dust.  Prior to surgery I think I had membership at over five gyms (pre-paid lifetime memberships).   After the first month I would stop going  because I just didn't enjoy the gym, or was easily intimidated by the muscle men, etc.   Sorry to ramble.  Hopefully there are a few tips in here to help you look for a gym. Rob B****he gym I go to is ACAC located in West Chester,PA. 
Scott William
on 10/7/07 11:11 pm
Of course you are the only one who knows about your finances but I found that signing a long contract has been good for me because it keeps me going.  I hate to know that money is being wasted.  Even if I only go and stretch for 15 minutes makes it worth it.  I also found that I was saving a lot of money on food.  I could have gotten memberships at 5 gyms for the amount I was saving on food.  Good luck
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Vivian Prouty
on 10/9/07 12:42 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hi Trish, I am sorry but I have to dissagree with your dietician.   I did Curves for 2 yrs.   I lost over 100" there.   I had PS 5 months ago and I did move on from Curves to a regular gym but trust me....the curves workout is not bad.   You can do the same machine more than one time before moving on if you like.    If what you are looking for is Cardio.....Curves is a great start.   Go check it out and see what you think.  I am sure that they will give you a free week to try them out.  Oh by the way....I went there 6 days a week.   Good luck as you search for the perfect gym for you.  Oh by the way.....most do make you sign a contract !!! Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/07 3:19 am - Miramar Beach, FL
Hi Trish, why not ask gyms in your area if they offer a free week to try out the facilities?  You might get in some free gym time, and at the same time find the right one for you. I love the group classes.  Right now, I take spinning classes for cardio, "Group Power", which is a group barbell class for strength, and pilates classes for core strengthening and the mind/body connection.  The reasons I prefer group classes are 1) you have an instructor to show you proper techniques and to guide and encourage you, 2) you have a set time to be at the gym, so you're less likely to blow it off, saying you'll go "later", and 3) you get to know the other people who take a particular class, make friends, and share group camaraderie.   Tami
rainsom
on 10/10/07 11:02 am
 Hi Trish,  Out here (Houston) Sound FItness is month to month.   THere are many places that will give you a free week to check them out, That could be interesting.  Many places will try and urge you to signa contract and sign one for personal training. Try not to let  them pressure you, those contracts are hard to get out of.    If you check out a few places you will likely find one you like near you, tkae time to shop around.  Good Luck!
bjhice
on 10/11/07 1:29 pm - New Kent, VA
I recommend that you check out the YMCA. They are really willing to work with folks with financial issues. Also, you have a pool (grea****er aerobics classes), cardio, weights, aerocics classes - just a lot of variety. I did Curves for awhile but didn't stick with it because I got bored with the same old routine. Good luck, whatever your choice. BJ
Cami H
on 10/25/07 1:11 am - Minneapolis, MN
Hi, Trish.  I'd recommend the YMCA, also.  I'm sure this isn't true across the board, but I found the YMCA much more comfortable than other clubs.  It seemed like there was a greater variety of people of all ages, shapes and sizes at the YMCA.  I wasn't comfortable at some of the clubs that seemed like they were for the "beautiful people" with everyone in their designer workout clothes.  I know that at least at my YMCA, it is a month-to-month contract, that you can termiate at any time. Again, everyone is different, but I would also try to find a place close to your house, or your work, if you go from work.  Having to take time to drive a ways to get to your workout is just an another obstacle/excuse I didn't want to have in my way. Good luck! Cami
Most Active