Yoga - getting started

Loralea
on 10/5/07 4:29 am - Trophy Club, TX
I'm thinking about taking up yoga, and looking for some ideas. For now, I just want to do "easy" yoga for a little stretching, relaxation, and stress relief. I'm definitely not interested in butt-kicking power yoga or anything yet - which is all they offer at our fitness center. I'm one week post-op and I don't think I'm allowed to do that kind of activity for a few more weeks anyway. And when I am released for more exercise, I like to lift weights for strength training. I'm mostly looking for a way to start dealing with stress better, since I won't be stress eating anymore. I thought yoga (or something similar) might be the answer. I want something that I can start now, rather than waiting a few weeks.

Ideas? Classes vs. videos?

Thanks!!

Loralea
285 / 250 / 164 / 142
(2 mos. pre-op / surgery date / current / goal)

My Message to You -- shared by Loralea   http://blog.loralea.com

pjdillon
on 10/12/07 2:15 am - Gulfport, FL

I started doing yoga by watching Inhale on the Oxygen channel.  It comes on at 6am and is a lot of fun.  The yogi, Steve Ross, is very funny and gives alternate options for poses that are too difficult.  I actually started prior to surgery at 250 pounds and although I couldn't do a whole hour or even half of what they were doing on TV, I found it easy to follow and learn from.

I tape it and do about an hour 2-3 times a week.  I wish he had a DVD to purchase, but no such luck.  He uses up beat music and it does flow a little fast, but if you stick with it, it becomes easier.  I hope this gives you an option.  My local gym also offers classes, but every time I go, it is so packed, I'd much rather do it at home!  Like you - I looked for a way to deal with stress without eating - sometimes it works, sometimes not  Good luck!

PJ
RNY 12/12/03
253/160/135

Most Active