Exercise question

kmedal
on 10/2/07 2:55 am - Milpitas, CA

Hi All

I have been doing my arms and shoulders one day. The next day I do my chest and abs.

Sometimes while doing my chest, I’m still kind of sore from doing my arms.

Question: is that ok to do?

Thanks

Ken

10/31/06 Roux-Y Gastric Bypass
Heaviest Weight: 325, Now 158
Diabetes, type 2, Now Gone
High Blood pressure, Now Gone
High Cholesterol, Now Gone
Sleep Apnea, Now Gone

donnainhouston
on 10/2/07 3:14 am - League City, TX
I'm no trainer, but I have learned that sometimes when you work one part of your body, you also activate secondary muscles in areas you might not think you should have soreness. Also, another think I've learned, is that proper form plays a big part in activating the muscle you're trying to concentrate on.  So check your form and make sure you're actually hitting the muscles you are intending. As far as the "is that ok to do?" part of your question, I would guess it depends on just how sore you are feeling.  Again, I'm not a trainer or anythihng -- just speaking from my experience.  YMMV. Donna
JeremyGentles
on 10/2/07 5:45 am - Johnson City, TN
Hello Ken, First thing here....do not do arms and shoulders the day before you work chest. Try the following order: Day one - Chest and Back Day two - Legs Day three - Arms, shoulders and abs Please let me know if your weight train more than 3 days a week as I can make some other suggestions.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Earl C.
on 10/2/07 6:13 am - Circleville, OH
Nice hat Jeremy. I think I woke up wearing a hat like that once. Good to see ya buddy. Earl
kmedal
on 10/2/07 7:11 am - Milpitas, CA

Thank you all for your support

I’m trying to build up some muscle mass. I’ve become so weak. I do 4 sets and 6 to fail rep’s each set. I go to the gym twice a day. Once in the early am which I do my cardio and later that afternoon I weight train. I do this 5 to 6 times a week.

10/31/06 Roux-Y Gastric Bypass
Heaviest Weight: 325, Now 158
Diabetes, type 2, Now Gone
High Blood pressure, Now Gone
High Cholesterol, Now Gone
Sleep Apnea, Now Gone

Earl C.
on 10/2/07 7:27 am - Circleville, OH

Hey Ken,

You would have to be more specific, but I wouldn’t lift 6 days a week if you’re trying to gain muscle mass, unless you’re on steroids and have great genetics.

A 3 day a week program like Jeremy suggested above on like Monday, Wednesday and Friday, would work better for Muscle Mass building. Your muscles grow while you rest, not when you workout. Now if you were just looking to stay lean and the intensity wasn’t that high, I’d say 6 days a week was ok.

This site has a lot of good useful information.

http://www.t-nation.com/index.do

Good luck

Earl

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/07 8:35 am - FL

I was under the impression that you could work the abs daily.  What is your take on that? 

I've been doing all my muscle groups on the same day, twice a week.  The other days I do the eliptical.  My goal is to firm and lose weight.  I do want to build larger muscles in my arms to take up some of the loose skin. I would appreciate your input! Wanda

Earl C.
on 10/2/07 6:10 am - Circleville, OH

Hi Ken,

Sure it’s ok; it just depends on what you’re doing exactly and what your goals and priorities are.

The general terms “arms and shoulders” and “chest and abs” can mean a million different things to me.

I like to work Chest, shoulders and Tricep on the same workout day. Since most chest, shoulder and tricep exercise all work basically the same muscle groups. Most of my chest exercises I consider tricep work anyway. Then I’ll work Back and Bicep another day and legs on a yet another day. It’s basically what some would call a push/pull split.

But I change up all the time. Again, it all depends on what your goals, weaknesses and priorities are. Just offhand, working Arms and shoulders the day before chest doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, but doing Chest one day, then Shoulders and Arms the next wouldn’t be too bad, as long as you’re giving yourself enough rest days after that to recover.

There really is no right or wrong way to group body parts. Everything works for someone. You just have to keep trying different things and see what works for you.

Good luck

Earl

Most Active