Sunday's workout

Earl C.
on 9/30/07 1:41 pm - Circleville, OH
1:25 pm to 2 pm @ home gym Thick bar suspended floor press 1 Arm DB press 1 Arm DB laterals 1 Arm DB Extensions DB French press Push downs with mini bands work 3 pm to midnight - break when I get em 5 pm walk treadmill 10 min 8 pm walk treadmill 16 min 11 pm walk treadmill 30 min walking just to keep abs from getting too sore while I sit at work Earl
ResolvedVA
on 10/1/07 8:39 am - Bluemont, VA
Earl-

Did you have your surgery? If yes, how did it go and how is the recouperation process going? I remember you said that you had warned all your family and friends that you were going to be a bear. Did they all run away? Due to knee blow out, not once but twice in September, I have been less than serene myself so I really understand.

Lets see, Saturday was a 22 mile bike ride and Sunday was a 5 mile bike ride. I have been banned temporarily from my cardio dance classes, strength training classes and the treadmill but I am allowed to ride a bike and I have been doing upper body weight training several times a week. I start 6 weeks of intense PT for both my knees this week. I really, really want to get back to dance class and my strength training class! I am hoping if I behave myself I will be back in full swing by the end of October and then I will have my first round of plastics come mid-November.

I am eager to learn what you have been able to do after your surgery.

Regards,

Taylor
ResolvedVA aka Taylor :) SW/GW/CW/New GW with muscles! 308/140/130/135
Earl C.
on 10/1/07 9:15 am - Circleville, OH

Sorry to hear about the injury. It's depressing isn't it? I had double hernia surgery on Sept 17th. It was laparoscopic and was only supposed to be 1 insertion point, but he couldn't find the second hernia and started cutting exploration holes...in my tummy. So I have 6 instead of 1 cut.  I'm kind of surprised after 2 weeks it's still hurting as much as it is. You really don't realize how many things you use your abs for until you get some kind of surgery like this. Just a deep breath or hiccup can really give me a jolt of pain right now.  Pain meds are pretty much gone. I'm walking, but not at 100%. It seems to feel better when I walk than when I lay around or sit all day. Sitting just kills me by the end of the day.  I'm lifting but very light and kind of working around the surgery right now. I've trained long enough to know how to train around an injury. Surgeon thinks I can start real training after 6 to 8 weeks, which to him and me means heavy squats and deadlifts. I'm not even thinking about it until the pain is gone and all the incisions are healed. So I'm not doing much. Just walking mainly and doing what lifting I can. Earl

ResolvedVA
on 10/1/07 10:06 am - Bluemont, VA
Earl-

You win the ouch award for September! My WLS was laproscopic and I was off pain meds within 24 hours. It was a breeze and I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. I have been told however that this first round of plastics (lower body lift) is going to be really, really painful and that if I don't do exactly what my surgeon says as far as physical activity and weight lifting or rather the lack thereof, I could ruin the results. I really want to get rid of my sharpei skin but I am not looking forward to several weeks of little to no physical activity.

I am amazed that you are being allowed to do so much so soon after surgery! Then again you were in great physical shape before surgery so maybe that plays into the equation. That is also part of my fear. I really wanted to be much stronger before this surgery and now because of my knee I am somewhat side lined. Oh well, it is what it is and I will just deal with it.

Please take care of yourself and don't overdue.

Regards,

Taylor
ResolvedVA aka Taylor :) SW/GW/CW/New GW with muscles! 308/140/130/135
Earl C.
on 10/1/07 11:15 am - Circleville, OH
Thanks Taylor. Yeah, after RNY I was off pain meds after about the 3rd day. Maybe I'm just getting older and whine more. I don't see me ever getting PS. I've seen too many hatchet jobs up close and personal. And the pain, OMG! Anybody that has that has much more guts than me. But I guess it depends on the amount of skin you have. I can live with mine. It's not much more than any other old fart would have at my age. Earl
MaryS
on 10/1/07 10:47 am - Long Island, NY
Good to see you are up and about and working out after your surgery.  I did an 18 mile run Sunday - it's my longest to date.  Only 4 weeks from this coming Sunday until the marathon. 

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Earl C.
on 10/1/07 11:10 am - Circleville, OH
Holy Crap...18 miles! Great job Mary. Earl
Rob S.
on 10/2/07 5:16 am - DE
18 miles!  That's awesome.   There are an amazing group of people out there who have the surgery, who were hiding and just waiting to bust out.   You are one of the best.  Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get above 5 and 10 miles?  i'm training for a half-marathon and my current plan is to run a couple of 10k and a 10 milers over the nex three months.  I was going to leave the thrill of the 13 miles to the actual race. How much taper do you plan on needing prior to the marathon? Keep strong and moving,  Keep us posted on your next endeavor. Rob
MaryS
on 10/2/07 12:53 pm - Long Island, NY

I started running in Sept 05 and I did my first half marathon in Mar 05.  If you get in a couple of 10 miles over the next three months you should be in good shape for the race.  I'm doing a training program and the long run over the next fews weeks is the following: 10/6   Half Marathon 10/13 20 miles run (that will be the longest run of the program) 10/20 10 mile run 10/28 5 mile run 11/4   Marathon day!

In addition to the long run, we usually have a specialty run on Tuesdays (speed training or hill training), abouot 4-5 miles on Thursdays and 3-4 on Sundays. You are right that there is an amazing group of people out there - yourself included.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active