Bike Ride

Kelli ~.
on 9/29/07 2:35 pm - Atwater, CA
I am going to do a charity bike ride on October 20th. Now there is a 10mile ride which I know I can do without any problems and then there is a 30mile one which I can do 25 miles no problem...figuring 10 more should be okay. Anywho, what do I need to work on besides riding my bike on longer rides...the last ride I did about 18miles rt whi*****luded 3 medium sized hills, I also work out at the gym as well...but any other ideas? I will make sure I get enough fuel in my body for the ride, but any other exercises to keep my legs limber would be appreciated. :)  Kelli
WINNIE THE POOH

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/07 9:47 am - FL
I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say I think you are doing great!  I couldn't even consider riding that far!
MaryS
on 10/1/07 10:54 am - Long Island, NY
Kelli, You should have no problem with the 30 miles ride if you can do 25 now without a problems.  If you're not already doing weight training, that would be a great compliment to your biking. Good luck on the rides. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

donnainhouston
on 10/2/07 3:20 am - League City, TX

The best cardio compliment to biking is running.  If you don't run, it might be something to add to your routine.   Do you use anykind of recovery drinks while you ride?  I do my share of organized rides and I find the biggest challenge is not getting through the ride so much, as fueling myself properly.   I also like Cytomax to drink, istead of straigh****er for recovery while riding.  It helps minimize the build-up of lactic acid and therefore the burning in your muscles, especially when having to power up-hills. If you've done 25, 30 should be no problem... remember to fuel and stay hydrated! Donna

jwhit
on 10/16/07 3:51 am - North Shore, MA
Good luck on this. I am sure you will do great! I agree with the previous poster, if you can do 25 then 30 should be a breeze! Just stay hydrated.  I started riding again a few weeks ago after about 16 years off the bike and it felt TERRIFIC! I generally put in 20-25 miles 3 or 4 times a week (in addition to Nautilus, rowing, walk/running and soon to add swimming). I had an open RNY in September of 2006 and have lost 160 lbs since then. I also lost 110 lbs before surgery. I started at 523lbs and am currently 253 lbs. Very best of luck,
Jonathon
Most Active