I need help(suggestions) to accomplish this!!!!

BroDiamond
on 9/27/07 12:39 pm - New Haven, CT
Earl C.
on 9/27/07 2:49 pm - Circleville, OH
What part do you need help with? Need some info to see where  you are and how far you have to go. How old are you? What's your weight? Can you run 1.5 miles, if so in what time? Looked like this was 50 % of the total test score, so it's important. How long do you have before the test?
BroDiamond
on 9/27/07 8:01 pm - New Haven, CT
What part do you need help with? All Need some info to see where  you are and how far you have to go. Earl I am off & on, have been trying for a year to do this, I just get frustrated and quit. How old are you? 40 What's your weight? I seem to cant get past 286 & 287(Play them in the lottery) Can you run 1.5 miles, if so in what time? Looked like this was 50 % of the total test score, so it's important. I used to could walk it in 25minutes. How long do you have before the test? 6-7months( I would like to do it sooner, if that is possible)
Earl C.
on 9/30/07 7:12 am, edited 10/2/07 6:19 am - Circleville, OH

Hey guy,

Sorry it took awhile to get back to you. This is going to be a long one and probably not what you want to hear, but hey, you asked.

I don’t think this is an issue of finding any one best way or secret program to achieve these requirements. You’ve been hanging around this board long enough that you’ve probably seen the answers of what to do a hundred times.

They’re not asking for any kind of superhuman physical requirements here. I think what they’re asking for here is complete doable by anyone that has the “desire” to do it.

You have to be more on, than off. It’s more about desire and determination than what program you follow. A 6-month period is plenty of time to achieve these requirements. Anyone that has gone through WLS already knows how anyone can totally change their life, in a 6-month period of time. It’s just a matter of how important it is to you and how much you really want it.

Biggest problem, I think, is of you jumping in 110%, all Gung Ho, at the beginning. That will just end up in frustration or getting you injured. You’re going to have to be systematic and progressive about it, but at the same time keep your enthusiasm stoked so you don’t ease off.

According to the chart for a 40 year old who weighs 287 pounds you're going to have to do:

31 situps in 1 minute

Sit and reach 15.25 inches

Bench press 241 pounds 1 time

Run the 1.5 miles in 13:04, which is roughly 8.69 mph (so there’s no way you can walk it)

Here are some things I would do if I had 6 months to get ready for something this important:

Find someone that’s taken the test and see what technique or tips they can give you. How are they doing the sit-ups? Is the running done on a track? How are they judging the bench press (do you have to pause at the chest or can you touch and go)? How are they testing the sit and reach? (When I was tested it was sit straight legged on the floor, feet flat against a box then reach past your toes pushing a measuring gauge. So you’d have to go 15.25 inches past your toes. Ouch!)

Tighten up the diet and try to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. In 6 months that’s at least 25 pounds. Losing it slow at 1 to 2 pounds a week allows you to keep or build muscle and lose fat and still eat enough to train correctly. You don’t have to starve yourself to lose 1 pound a week. Just clean up the diet and eat clean.

Losing a few pounds would really help you on the test…

That means instead of having to bench 241 pounds, you would only have to bench 220 pounds if you weighed 262, even less if you lost more.

The sit and reach is basically about flexibility but having a smaller stomach allows you to bend over and reach further.

Running will be easier the lighter you are and so will sit-ups.

Start running. I’m not even going to try to tell you how to start running. I’m not a runner. From the post I’ve seen on here in the past, The “Couch to 5k routine” seems to work for a lot of non-runners. I did a little searching and found an aggressive version that would probably fit your needs better.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/agressive_program .htm

For the bench press, I would do a simple all around full body lifting program 3 days a week for a month or 2. Just to get in condition.  Then if you can, find someone in your area that knows power-lifting. You can do it on your own but a good powerlifter can show you things in person about technique that you just can’t learn online. Lifting a 1 rep max is not about bodybuilding and has very little to do with your chest strength. This article kind of explains a few things about technique and a few exercises that might help. But a powerlifter would be able to show you a lot easier and help you better than reading about it.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/bench_like_a_stripper.htm

For the sit ups, I would treat them as an athletic event, not an exercise. Every time you get a few minutes, get on the ground and knock out as many sit ups as possible…every day…throughout the day. Do the same thing for stretching your hamstrings for the sit and reach. The book below has a chapter on this type of thinking.

Then 2 days a week as part of your lifting I’d do heavy weighted or decline sit-ups and leg raises.

http://www.dragondoor.com/b28.html

The Naked Warrior

Master the Secrets of the Super-Strong —Using Bodyweight Exercises Only

By Pavel Tsatsouline

I know it’s a lot and not specific. Seek out someone in your area that’s gone through the test to give you pointers.

It’s all about you making the decision that you want it enough to do what is required to get it done. Nobody can do the work but you.

Good luck.

Earl

Kevin A.
on 9/29/07 4:15 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
What up Bro!! First you have to make a committment to this. A comittment like you never made before. 5-6 days a week for training for this test. It a matter of how bad do you want this? 6 months ago I was about 280lbs. I started training for a 1/2 marathon... 6 months later I'm 229lbs, finish 2 1/2 marathons and in training to do a the L.A. marathon. You can do it!!

Best wishes on your journey!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Most Active