Exercise Ideas to Reduce Loose Skin

Debra_M
on 9/27/07 12:37 am - FL
I'd like to start an exercise regime to help with reducing the amount of loose skin (the apron effect) as I drop weight.  I know that surgery to remove it is an option but I'd like to see what I can do now to avoid another surgery.   Has anyone had any success with an exercise program, piece of equipment to target problem areas, etc... that they'd like to share?  I joined a gym so most kinds of exercise equipment are available to me.

JeremyGentles
on 10/2/07 6:04 am - Johnson City, TN
Hello Debra, While exercise and/or increasing you level of fitness will make you "more fit" for surgery or recovering from surgery, unfortunately , exercise will not do too much for loose skin.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Mercedes Dunn
on 10/5/07 12:37 pm - Worcester, MA
http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm That is not true.  Exercise and weight training can have a huge affect on loose skin and can greatly change the results of how much you have, if you need surgery and if you do they type of surgery you need.  Read the link above to learn more.  There are so many things you can do to reduce the amount of loose skin you have.  Unfortunately there may be a chance that you are stil left with skin issues but the benefits of exercise outweigh the possibility of it not helping with loose skin
Mercedes
JeremyGentles
on 10/8/07 4:06 am - Johnson City, TN
You may want to be careful who you get your information from. This guy, Ron Brown has no formal education in medicine, exercise physiology and/or anything I can see. Calling oneself a "Certified Fitness Trainer" means absolutely NOTHING!

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS

Mercedes Dunn
on 10/8/07 8:46 am - Worcester, MA
So what are your credentials?  Being a CFT can mean a lot depending on where you got your certification from.  Focusing on his credentials does not take away the facts that skin can rebound with the help of exercise and proper diet.  Too many people want a quick fix  instead of trying to exercise and eat healthy.  It is wise to attempt all non-evasive measures that will benefit your health and encourage people to do all they can to exercise and exercise properly to build muscle and reduce loose skin.  It may work, it may not but either way you will always gain a healthy body, great physique and you will feel good. 
Mercedes
JeremyGentles
on 10/8/07 11:20 am - Johnson City, TN
I have a formal education in exercise physiology and have my certifications through the NSCA. You are certainly correct, you can increase your health, you can increase strength, build muscle tissue, increase bone mineral density, and reduce your risk of developing cardiovascular disease...these are reasonable goals/results and have been established through peer reviewed research time and time again.  For the most part, exercise does not and will not significantly reduce the amount of loose skin that is often seen after massive weight loss....neither will diet. If someone is young and much of their skin elasticity is intact, or if they have been moderately obese or overweight (and lose it), they may not have much loose skin. For most individuals who have been morbidly obese much of their life, skin simply will not "snap back" and it would require building a large amount of muscle tissue in areas such as the arms to fill in that volume. Building that much muscle tissue under significant caloric restriction is not possible and is not reasonable in the first place. As far as other problem areas such as the panni and skin that "droops" from the legs...there is no possible way to get rid of this through exercise and proper diet...it just doesn't happen. Skin is forgiving but not that forgiving.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS

Mercedes Dunn
on 10/9/07 5:07 am - Worcester, MA
Thank you for the more indepth reply.  I do appreciate it, especially since I am considering becoming a certified personal trainer and going for my masters in some form of health and fitness field.  Any suggestions or resources that you could direct me to would be greatly appreciated.  There are so many certifications out there it is hard to figure out which one is the best and most creditable.
Mercedes
JeremyGentles
on 10/9/07 5:22 am - Johnson City, TN
Mercedes, There are several organizations that I would suggest looking into. I wrote an article about this topic that explains what to look for in a personal trainer but you should get the info you need from it. Click on the link below to check out the article and let me know if you need any other info. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fitness/cmsID,1611/mode,co ntent/

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS

Mercedes Dunn
on 10/9/07 5:59 am - Worcester, MA
Thanks
Mercedes
Most Active