Why,oh why'd I join a dead/slow/boring gym?!

Molly Mae
on 9/26/07 4:40 am - WA
Hey Everyone!  To those of you *****member me...I am sorry if it seems that I have dropped off the face of the earth. I do check this board everyday and love the encouragement I get from you all! Here is the latest saga...I joined a gym...Which I am so happy about. It is a ladies only gym and I really enjoy that aspect of it. I am locked into a 12 month contract unless I move 25+ miles away. It is really a lovely place. It's kinda like Curves with the circut training and all but VERY nice and in a really nice area of town. It has a really relaxed atmosphere. Almost zen/spa like. At first this was cool BUT...Now it is driving me nuts! When I workout I love to jam out on my iPod with all kinds of crazy music that really gets me pumped and moving fast! Use of iPods is NOT prohibited as long as you can hear the prompt to change stations. I feel totally inappropriate in there! Most of the other gym members who are there when I am are a lot older and one even scolded me not to "hurt" myself on the elliptical! Sheesh! One commented to me that I was practially running on it. I was like DUH! I am trying to freaking fit in to my winter pants, LOL!  I feel like I am disturbing the peace at the gym. Why oh why did I join a dead/slow/boring gym? So...I guess I gotta be me! I have to work out THAT hard! I AM a banshee on the treadmill and a freak on the elliptical.  WWYD? Molly BTW, I will also post this in another forum to get more feedback! THANKS!
Earl C.
on 9/26/07 9:38 am - Circleville, OH
Glad you're back Molly. Just my 2 cents...but I'd tell them I moved and find a new (real) gym.  I think those type of gyms have their purpose, like getting people that have never exercised before to do something...anything. They also appear to be a good social outlet for some people. You've obviously outgrown this one and need bigger challenges. Being around others that want to excel and not just chat and put in the time would help keep you motivated too. Good luck. Earl
Molly Mae
on 9/26/07 11:01 am - WA
Thanks Earl! I really appreciate your help. I totally understand what you are saying. I think a lot of the ladies there are lonely since they are a littler older.  More social time is exactly what I do not need! Thanks again! Molly
H A.
on 9/27/07 1:08 am - NOR CAL, CA

There is a cancellation policy I'm sure. You might have to pay a penalty fee. You usually get a discount for joining for 12 months and you might have to pay that discount back.

I would read your contract carefully. I'm sure there is a way to get out of it.

Heidi

ps I went to Curves (pre-wls) and didn't loose a darn thing. Most of my friends didn't either. I think it needs to be a little more aerobic. Of course it's better than nothing.
(deactivated member)
on 10/1/07 9:54 am - FL
I did the same thing and immediately regretted joining.  Just pay up your year in advance and move on!  It's too important to your long term health goals.  That way, if you want to pop in every once in a while for a light workout you can.  Yeah, it's an expensive mistake but it beats moving 50 mles away to get your contract cancelled!
Most Active