Doggie Doo!

Rob S.
on 9/23/07 11:23 am - DE
Well, Saturday morning I ran the inagural Doggie Doo 5k.  It is sponsored by Canines for Life Patners.  It was a beautiful hilly run along the Brandywine River at Hagley Museum in Delaware.    It started to rain 5 minutes into the run.  And it poured buckets.   Since it was an out and back race, at least I knew that although I felt good going out, mostly downhill, that it would be uphill most of the way back.   The last 1/2 mile was particularly hard since the finish line was up a steep incline and it was wet and slippery.  I lost a little bit of time on that hill, but still finished strong at 27m26s.  A personal best, and now 27 minutes is actually in my sights before year end.   The most amazing part of this race is after the finish I went back to the two-mile mark and watched as a parapalegic pushed his wheelchair the final mile up that hill.  I stayed in back of him the whole way up the hill in case his hands slipped, and egged him on to the finish.  He got an ovation from everyone attending the race.  Pure courage and guts... 57th   Rob Siers   age-54 Male    11 among M 50-59    27:26  finish    8:51/mile Next up.. Saturday Sept. 29th is the MS 150 Bike to the Bay...  Need to switch gears, get out of my running shoes and get my mind back into cyling frame of mind.  Then it's back to PHL for the Step Up To Fight Diabetes (10 miles/ 100 stories) assuming I can get a couple of lucky businesses to sponsor me for the $1,000 entry fee, otherwise I'll switch gears and do a couple of 10k's to finish the year. Rob Running 
Earl C.
on 9/23/07 1:10 pm - Circleville, OH
Great run Rob! 
Im2fun4u
on 9/23/07 4:10 pm - tacoma, WA
Great Job Rob! Got any tips for running in the rain. This is my first year of walking/running and live in the Pacific Northwest (lots of rain) and want to stay dry! Liz

48lbs Lost Pre-op/19lbs of the 48lbs Lost was during 2 week Preop Clear Liquid

Rob S.
on 9/23/07 9:58 pm - DE
The biggest tip is to have two pairs of running shoes.  One for bad weather and keep the other for the great sunny days.  I don't know about you, but one of my biggest fears as a super-MO person was fear of falling.  Slippery surfaces don't worry me as much anymore, but make sure that your shoes can handle the wet areas, and that you can dry them out quickly.  You also may need to decrease your gait or step to compensate for the wet roads.  The other tip is to invest in a Gore Windstopper or Rainstopper jacket for the cold and wet days.  They are expensive but definitely will keep the rain off your upper body.  Of couse nothing does any good when you havee the unexpected rain showers.  Pay attention to the weather reports.  Gore has great jacket vests with detachable sleeves. Above all, don't use bad weather as an excuse not to exercise!  Always have a back-up plan, either running in the evening instead of the morning, going to a gym, or hitting a treadmill (my least favorite). Keep moving and good luck out there.  I love the Northwest.  We have been out to Washington, Oregon, and BC several times.  I would love to get back out there now that I can run some of those trails. Rob
Most Active