Need help to get back into exercise

dcox94
on 9/22/07 9:26 am - North Wilmington, DE
I am trying to recover from a bad bout of shingles which has left me with a bad case of post herpatic pains in the stomach and back area.  I am just starting to be able to lower dosages of narcotics and I want to get back into exercising again without causing any other problems.  I know what I use to do before the illness I can't do now.  I need some suggestions on what I can start out doing.  Walking is okay so far but what should I try to strive for?  I use to do 45 min cardio, 30 min weight training (alternating arms and legs) 3-4 days a week.  Any suggestions? Thanks for your input. Debbie

Life is too short to eat lousy food!

Hugs and Fleece Blankets

425/209/1??

Rob S.
on 9/23/07 10:50 am - DE
Hi Debbie, There is a PMRI session on Oct 1st on Resistance Training...  Not sure if you can make it with your schedule, but Guy might be able to give you some recommendations.  Since I'm doing the Bike to the Bay this weekend, I'm not sure whether I'll be there or not. Keep doing your program as well as you can.  You may want to just do cardio on some days and do you weights alternate days.  That gives the body time to recover. Good luck, Rob
dcox94
on 9/23/07 7:22 pm - North Wilmington, DE

Thanks for the info on meeting.  I will try and be there.  I am starting from scratch again.  Its tough to start over when you are use to doing things.  Its been over 6 weeks without a program.  Too much pain to do anything including eating.  Lost the gain I had for over a year which is nice but its not the healthiest way to do it.  I know I don't know how to start a program over again.  Professional help is definitely needed.  Good luck with Bike to Bay.  I am sure it will be loads of fun. Debbie

Life is too short to eat lousy food!

Hugs and Fleece Blankets

425/209/1??

Rob S.
on 9/23/07 10:14 pm - DE
Don't beat yourself up.  If you can only do ten minutes, do that.  Work yourself up to 15 and then every other week try to add another 5 minutes.  Same with the weights, start by doing three reps of five at whatever weight is comfortable and then as your strength returns you can increase weight or reps.   You might want to sign up with a trainer for a couple of sessions to get a routine started.  They can give you a plan that you can do for a couple of months and then you can check back in when it gets to easy.  Also, see if your medical plan will give you some physical therapy sessions.  That is another way to get hooked up with a trainer. Good luck and glad to see you posting again. Rob
Most Active