Fuel for the Road?

Im2fun4u
on 9/19/07 2:40 pm, edited 9/19/07 2:41 pm - tacoma, WA
I recently did my first 5k walk (7 weeks out from RNY tomorrow) and plan on doing more.  Plus in November doing a half marathon. Noticed that all the snacks they handed out before hand were filled with carbs and sugar. My friend I walked with was a Lap Band so she was fine. I was scared to even try a bannana because of the sugar content. So what should I eat on race day? Someone tell me the best way to fuel my body but follow my RNY rules. Any advice would be great!  Thanks, Liz

48lbs Lost Pre-op/19lbs of the 48lbs Lost was during 2 week Preop Clear Liquid

Kevin A.
on 9/19/07 2:55 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
I would say the best way is to try somethings before your race and see what works best for you!!! OT: Did you lose 69lbs in a little over a month??
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Im2fun4u
on 9/19/07 3:02 pm - tacoma, WA

Sorry, need to put this on my signature. Have lost 22 lbs since surgery. Lost 47 preop, with 19 of that being the 2 week clear liquids right before surgery! I am a slow loser....but feeling great and moving more than ever!!

Kevin A.
on 9/19/07 3:07 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
47lbs preop is amazing!! I think your doing great!!! Good luck on your 1/2 marathon!! Keep up the great work!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Rob S.
on 9/19/07 10:09 pm - DE
Don't be afraid of bananas.  They have lots of potassium which is good to keep your legs from cramping.    For cycling and running, I use the Hammer gels.   I usually carry my gels so I don't need to stop at the rest stops.  You should be able to get trail mix, orange wedges, bananas at the stops.  The big thing is to stay hydrated with good old water.  I have a big breakfast (oatmud-oatmeal, soymilk, unjury, flax seed meal, and cinammon) before any event.  After the race, stay away from the pizza and beer.  Sometimes, I will grab a small piece of soft pretzel after the race if the stomach is acting up, or telling me it's time for feeding. Half-marathon is a big challenge.  Good luck, my first is planned for March 2008. Rob
Im2fun4u
on 9/20/07 9:21 am - tacoma, WA
Thanks for the great advice. Will try some of these things before the day of just in case. Just so excited to be moving! Liz

Most Active