Body Composition Monitors

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/07 1:15 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
I just bought a body composition monitor w/ a scale (it's an Omron HBF-500).  This device tells your weight, skeletal muscle percentage, body fat percentage, visceral fat, BMI, and resting metabolic rate.  A very cool and interesting device.   Now that I have it, I'm trying to discern what to do with all the information it's given me.  Specifically, my skeletal muscle percentage was around 30% and my body fat percentage was around 33%.  I'm not sure what's considered "normal" for these things, and I've had no luck finding that information online.  I do seem to recall that having around 20% body fat is normal for most women.  But I'm really interested in more information about normal skeletal muscle mass, and tips on how to make sure my exercise plan helps me lose body fat while building or at least maintaining skeletal muscle mass.   So if anyone can offer information about these issues, or direct me to a website or text that could help me educate myself, I'd appreciate it!  Thanks in advance for you time - it's appreciated!!! Kellie
JeremyGentles
on 9/24/07 11:51 pm - Johnson City, TN
Hello Kellie, A couple of things about body fat percentage in women.... - Less than 15% is too lean for a woman - 15-18% is considered ultra lean (not recommended) - 19-22% is considered lean - 23-30% is considered moderately lean - 31-40% is considered excess fat - great than 40% is considered dangerous If you stay between 20-30%, this is generally a healthy range for a female. In regards to measuring total muscle mass.....I would somewhat disregard the calculation that has to do with skeletal muscle mass and focus on body fat percentage. If your body fat percentage is going down, it is pretty safe to assume your skeletal muscle percentage is going up. If you are gaining weight and losing percentages in body fat, it is safe to assume that you are gaining muscle tissue. As far as the type of training, weight training is certainly the best way to increase strength and increase muscle tissue. Usually 8-10 exercises 2-3 times per week that focus on total body movement like squats, deadlift, bench press, lat pull downs, and shoulder presses. Each of the 8-10 exercises should be performed 1-3 times/sets and each set should consist of 8-12 repetitions. Hope this helps and let me know if you need any other help. Oh yeah, with the scale you are using, make sure that you use it in a consistent manner. So, don't measure you body fat percentage in the afternoon one day and in the morning a week later. When you use that scale (BIA or bioelectrical impedance), you need to do it first thing in the morning after you have used the bathroom and before you drink or eat anything; you should also be in the nude or with very little clothing for accurate and consistent results.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/07 9:38 am - FL
Jeremy, I just had my body fat composition assessed at the gym.  The trainer said that I had 28% body fat.  He said that meant that I still needed to lose 4-11 pounds.  According to your chart 28%  means I'm moderately lean.  Since I'm a grandmother of six boys, I would like to become satisfied with "moderately lean!"  It's not like I will be applying for any beauty pagents any time soon! Can it really be true that I can be satisfied with my weight and body fat percentage?  I just changed my goal to 140 (which is what I've been weighing for a few weeks.)  Two docs and my husband thought I should stop losing.  I thought I was just throwing in the towel without completely finishing the race.  But now...you've given me hope that I can maintain where I am and not feel guilty about it!   What source does the body fat guidelines come from?  I would love to read more.  Thanks for the information. Wanda
Most Active