Lap Band, Exercise and Nutrition

Tim M.
on 9/13/07 1:18 pm - Hagerstown, MD
Hey everyone, I'm currently learning more about lap band and hope to get the procedure done after jumping through all the insurance hoops. I've been really out of shape for such a long time and I really long to get back to a more physically fit lifestyle. How does the lap band affect your workout? This may sound really misinformed but I'm thinking that if I'm restricted to eating a small amount of food and then kick butt in the gym that I will feel hungrier or that my energy levels will be affected much more than pre surgery. Can you give me some feedback in this area? Thanks.
marypetunia
on 9/14/07 5:42 am - Worcester, MA
VSG on 11/06/14
Having the band and losing weight has been the BIGGEST boost to my exercise energy levels! Absolutely no restriction to what you can do.. on the contrary... success with the band enhances and motivates my desire to be MORE fit, and thus.. enjoying exercise more! (This from a woman who couldn't make it up a set of stairs without huffing and puffing for an hour afterward!) LOL! I Go for it!
(deactivated member)
on 9/14/07 5:59 am - Miramar Beach, FL
I agree with marypetunia.  I got the lap band in September '06, and didn't start exercising until after the first of the year, after I had dropped the first 40-50 lbs., and had some easing of the plantar fasciitis that plagued my feet.  I started slowly, with about 20" of cardio 3 times per week, plus a couple of days of Cybex equipment for strength training.  I gradually progressed by increasing either the length of exercise time, the number of days per week, or the intensity.  I now work out 5-6 days per week, for an hour or so each day.  I'm sure that exercise was a huge factor in reaching my goal weight (-108 lbs.) in 9 months.  Since then, I've lost another 5-7 lbs., so I'm maintaining well.   With a moderate fill level, you should be able to eat a cup to a cup and a half of food per meal.  As long as you eat nutrient-dense food (no junk food!), you should get plenty of nutrition and calories to fuel your workouts.  A lot of docs recommend eating only 3 times per day, but that's one "rule" I've never stuck with.  I eat 5-6 times per day, but try to stick with healthy, whole foods.  I usually have a whole grain carb meal for breakfast (like Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal w/ 1% milk), workout mid-morning, and then have a protein/carb snack when I get home (like cottage cheese, fresh chopped peaches, and a sprinkle of Kashi Go Lean Crunch).  For lunch and dinner, I eat mostly lean protein and veggies.  I feel awesome, and have never been more fit in my life.  Go for it! Tami
Kelli ~.
on 9/14/07 3:10 pm - Atwater, CA
**A lot of docs recommend eating only 3 times per day, but that's one "rule" I've never stuck with.  I eat 5-6 times per day, but try to stick with healthy, whole foods.  I usually have a whole grain carb meal for breakfast (like Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal w/ 1% milk), workout mid-morning, and then have a protein/carb snack when I get home (like cottage cheese, fresh chopped peaches, and a sprinkle of Kashi Go Lean Crunch).  For lunch and dinner, I eat mostly lean protein and veggies. ** Hey Tami, I am glad to see someone posting that they eat around 5 to 6 small meals a day. I totally believe that our metabolism needs the fuel, and this 3 meals a day is probably what got us into binge eating cause we were not eating good foods that would last us. I eat almost throughout the day, because I am active with kids at work, then I work out either at the gym for 2hrs or I will do cycling for an 1hr at 12mph around my area. I also make sure to do at least 150-200 push-ups a day to help with taking care of one of my kids that is in a wheelchair, and he is 140lbs and only 10yrs old!!!  Anywho, what I eat for my snacks is Grape Tomatoes, Grapes, Bear Naked Low Sugar Cereal (TOTALLLY LOVE THE STUFF), sometimes so pretzels or wheat thins. I also eat my Pure Protein bars which are great (Walmart sells them), and lots of water or green tea (great for metabolism). Anywho, glad to see you are eating more meals throughout the day, I really believe it's beneficial for the body to have fuel to burn. Kelli 
WINNIE THE POOH

Tim M.
on 9/14/07 3:19 pm - Hagerstown, MD

I'm feelin great about the feedback. I was a little unsure and what you've hit on about nutrition is what I've really wanted to know. I want to follow a healthy diet and what you all are saying is totally reasonable and within reach.

Original BMI Pre-op= 47.7
BMI = 28.0
Currently lifting weights to gain muscle

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/07 12:14 am - Miramar Beach, FL
I agree.  I feel like eating every 2-3 hours is more satisfying mentally (I don't feel deprived), and is good for the metabolism.  Plus, it *is* hard to get in all our nutrients unless you add them in with snacks.  So, I *try* to make sure that my snacks fill nutritional gaps in my diet.  There are so many products on the market today that are a little too convenient, and don't really have much benefit, like the 100 calorie snack packs.  Much better to grab grape tomatoes, baby carrots, or even a little peanut butter on a graham cracker.  Or, one of my favorite snacks is Greek yogurt, mixed with Lite Cool Whip, and some kind of fruit like chopped peaches, strawberries, or blueberries.  Tami
Most Active