Treadmill vs Elliptical

Smilesy
on 9/13/07 2:42 am - Westminster, MD
Unfortunately my house took a pretty serious power surge a couple weeks ago due to a lightening strike in the yard.  I lost quite a few electronics, and the motor on my very nice treadmill was fried.   The insurance company is going to pay me replacement value because the machine I have is discontinued, and at the risk of additional problems, it would cost more to repair than to replace.  My question is this:  I am 6 months out, have lost 105#, and have about 50 more to go.  My biggest/worst areas for toning are my abs, butt , and thighs. Will and elliptical workout work  cardio as well as toning in those areas more so than walking  the treadmill?  If you had $700 to buy a piece of equipment  what would you get?
~Donna~ V.
on 9/13/07 3:23 am - Orlando, Fl
Hi There, Well I think this is probably a personal preference but I will share my thoughts with you. I have been a treadmill junkie for years to spite the fact I have serious knee issues. I recently started working with a personal trainer and he suggested I try the elliptical. I was skeptical but took his advice. WOW! That is an amazing machine. I burn twice the calories in half the time and no pressure on my knees. Its a heck of a workout. I still do treadmill as well, I just alternate between the two.  Good luck!!
Donna
Rob S.
on 9/13/07 5:22 am - DE
I would spend the money on a gym membership!  They have so many more choices, and most gyms have great pt to help you. Just my thoughts. Rob
Smilesy
on 9/13/07 5:37 am - Westminster, MD
I acutally have a membership to the Y by my house, but I actually USE home equipment. I am a single mom of 2 who works full time, so fitting in time to go,change, workout,and come home with kid-care is too much hassle.    I stillmanage to hit the Y for a full cirucit workout 1 or 2 days a week,but I want this at home for in between. 
Chunky Dunker
on 9/13/07 6:42 am - WA
Spend the $ on bills and go outside! Running on a treadmill sucks.
johnb_az
on 9/13/07 11:59 am - Phoenix, AZ
We have both and the treadmill gets more use.  Running outside is okay, but if you have problem knees, like I do, the treadmill is much kinder to your joints.  The elliptical is even easier on your joints, but I prefer the treadmill.
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/07 10:39 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
I have knee problems (full compartmental compression of cartilage), so the elliptical works better for me.  The machine I use has an adjustable incline, so you can change what muscle areas are being worked (higher incline hits gluts and calves, mid-level incline****s gluts, calves, hamstrings, and quads, etc.).  I also like the adjustable resistance on the elliptical; I can adjust the resistance until I get my heart rate in the zone I'm aiming for that day.  So it's worked well for me.   Before buying an elliptical, I'd suggest that you try one out for a week or so, perhaps at your Y.  Then you can see whether you like the feel and motion of the machine, of if you'd rather stick to the treadmill.   Kellie
H A.
on 9/14/07 2:15 am - NOR CAL, CA

I hired a personal trainer last year and he said that an elliptical with the arms pulls was the fastest fat burner and workout.

I use one 4 day/week and it doesn't seem to put the stress on my knees and feet like walking does. Also I notice I feel it in the back of my legs and thighs much more than just walking fast. My arms get a little resistance training also.

You should try and find a place you can use one for a few workouts before you make such a big investment. Ultimately it's the machine that you consistently use that will be the best workout.
Smilesy
on 9/14/07 2:50 am - Westminster, MD
Thanks for all of the input gang!  I will hit one at the Y over the next couple of weeks to be sure!
Jane B.
on 9/16/07 9:54 am - Aurora, CO

I used to have a treadmill until it became high maintenance; now I have a stationary bike and an elliptical trainer. The bike is great, but it hurts my buns if I use it back-to-back too frequently. The Elliptical Trainer is wonderful. My knees feel better, and the work out is quick and beneficial. I am pleased with the elliptical.

~jane

Most Active