Wrenched Knee - Kneed Help!

ResolvedVA
on 9/10/07 11:02 am - Bluemont, VA
Hey everyone! I could really use some advice here. My workout routine is as follows: M,W,F - Core strengthening class, T,TH, Sat - Cardio Dance 1-2 hours and then upper and lower body workouts with weights and machines. I also usually do some form of exercise for fun on Sat afternoon with my boyfriend (bike riding, kayaking, etc.). Soooo, last Saturday morning I did my usual 2 hours of cardio dance but noticed during the second class that my knees were hurting (Zumba will get you everytime!) but I decided to not whine (internally) and to push myself a little further. Sort of a work through the pain concept. At any rate, after class my right knee started to stiffen up and by evening was swollen and stiff and starting to become very painful. It was very bad by Sunday - very little range of motion, swollen and very painful to bend. I did notice however that it became much worse after sitting or standing still for periods of time. It actually felt better after walking around for a while. Today it is just as bad, possibly worse. The range of motion is about 25% and when I walk I have almost had the knee go out from under me several times today. Starting Saturday night I took some Advil and then rubbed a muscle cream (eucalyptus/menthol and Capsaicin). Sunday night I added an Icy/Hot sock around my knee and at least it did not hurt so much at night. Today it is horrible. I bought a stronger Capsaicin creme ("Screamin' Toast - Capsaicin .03%) and intend to apply it tonight. I spoke to the teacher for the strength training class and he said not to come to class tonight because I would just hurt myself more and to ice my knee tonight to get the swelling down. Any body have any other ideas? I blew out my knees as a teenager playing soccer and then the weight did not help and they have been hurting for years. How long should I do the rest/Capsaicin/Ice routine before I should consider seeing and orthopedic doc? I really hate that I am not exercising! I need to exercise but even swimming is beyond me at this point and although it does feel better to walk in the short run, I am not sure that I should keep doing that????? Help! Taylor
ResolvedVA aka Taylor :) SW/GW/CW/New GW with muscles! 308/140/130/135
Earl C.
on 9/10/07 12:05 pm - Circleville, OH
Hi Taylor, Sounds like when my ACL went out.  I couldn't walk for a month or so without feeling like my knee was going to collapse backward. Seem to heal and go away on it's own but took some time.  I didn't really do the smart thing though...which is go see an orthopedic doctor ASAP. But I'm a guy. If we're not dying, we're not seeing a doctor about it. If you're in pain and can't walk after a few days go see a doctor. It doesn't sound like a muscle related injury to me. They say girls have a lot of ACL injuries because of the way their hips are angled. It puts extra pressure on the ACL when they jump. Hope you get better soon. Earl
ResolvedVA
on 9/10/07 12:35 pm - Bluemont, VA
Earl- Thanks for the quick response, although I was really hoping that you in particular would say "tough it out and think active recovery" - LOL! I really don't want any down time right now. I am getting ready for plastics in mid-November and I wanted to be very strong and have built up some muscle before then. Also, one of my goals was to strengthen the muscles around my knees to add stability and perhaps avoid knee replacements in the future. That being said, I don't want to damage my knee further if a little patience on my part would speed recovery along. BTW, what is an ACL? During your month of recovery did you continue to exercise and it just eventually got better or did you take time off from doing anything with your leg? Actually, my knee feels like it is in a vice but twisted out to the right due to the lack of range of motion. I actually had to look at it a few times Saturday and Sunday just to reassure myself that it wasn't really twisted -LOL! It is weird because I have dislocated my knees quite a few times when young and while I did not do that this time, my knee sure feels the same. Can you dislocate a knee cap without it sliding off to the side? When I was younger that is what always happened and then of course I would immediately fall over and it always freaked everyone out who saw it happen. This time I was just doing a series of repetitive half squat bounce-like movements and other than some pain in my knees I thought I was doing just fine. Oh well, I guess if it doesn't get appreciably better I will see an orthro doc on Thursday. Hey, maybe this means I will get physical therapy/training compliments of my really, really expensive health insurance - there has just got to be a bright side to this! Thanks again, Taylor
ResolvedVA aka Taylor :) SW/GW/CW/New GW with muscles! 308/140/130/135
Earl C.
on 9/10/07 12:55 pm - Circleville, OH

I'm old now...not so tough anymore. That's what my girlfriend keeps telling me anyway. Just do a search for ACL Knee on google...you'll get tons of info. I'd go see a doctor...doesn't sound good. I worked around mine I believe. Couldn't squat so did good mornings. Wrapped my knee really tight for stablity for anything I had to do standing. Basically braced it so it wouldn't bend. Mine was bending backward. Seems ok now...for someone that can't walk straight.  I've been injured a lot over the years. You can't train hard and not get hurt at some point. Injuries just goes with any sport. You just work around it and let whatever hurts heal. I'm in the same boat. I'm having double hernia surgery next week. Will put me out of heavy lifting for 6 to 8 weeks the surgeon said. I can walk and do little things after a week though. I'm already expecting to be a bear for a few months.  Family and friends have been warned. Good luck Earl

Most Active