What can I do now?

greenthumb
on 9/9/07 7:53 am - CA
Hi all, I am 6 wks. post op and have been walking 2-3 miles 6 days a week, when I'm able. ( had a couple strictures that slowed me down).  Today I was playing around with my son at the park and we both started jogging.  It felt really good but I stopped and told my dh that I wasn't sure I could jog yet and he asked me why not. I said, well, because I've just had my insides rearranged and I'm not sure if it's okay.  So, can I jog here and there?  I belong to the gym and was told I couldn't lift weights until 6 wks. post op.  I get on the treadmill and wonder how high I should get my heart rate.  My old trainer would have me stay at max. for 20 min. prior to surgery but now I'm wondering if I should take it a little more slow.  I have been and don't push myself but I must admit I like the adrenaline rush.  My goal is to walk 5 miles.   Just confused on what I should be doing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  So this was so long. Thanks, Paula
Scott William
on 9/9/07 9:31 pm
Not to get off easy on this one but it may be a question for your surgeon.  I was pretty much released to do what I wanted at 6 weeks and I did start running.   I held off on the weights for a few weeks after because I did not feel ready for it.  My hunch would be that you are good to go.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
greenthumb
on 9/10/07 1:08 am - CA
Scott, Thanks for the reply.  I see my surgeon on Weds. so I'll start my list of questions.  Guess I should just ask what I can't do at this point.  I don't really feel up to the weights either but I would like to go a wee bit faster on the treadmill. Thank you, Paula
Most Active