which lane in the track to walk in???

bai
on 9/5/07 11:04 am - CA
Hey all.... I am confused about walking on the highschool track.  Which lane should i be in so that i can be sure i am doing 5 miles a day.  that is i read that 4 laps = 1mile.  but i don't know which lane it counts for any help???
HUNGER IS NOT AN EMERGENCY

start 245/ current 198/  goal....150!!!

Scott William
on 9/5/07 2:36 pm
Lane # 1 is the inside lane.  That is the one you are looking for.  Some schools want people to walk in the outside lanes to prevent excessive wear on the inside lanes.  When you find the start line there will be some colored lines there with numbers by them.  There should be a blue one with a 400 and those are the 400 meter lines.  You can see by those how much farther you walk in the outside lanes by looking at those.  I would guess that you would go perhaps 40 more yards per lap in the outside lane.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
bai
on 9/5/07 3:25 pm - CA
thanks!!!!!!!!!
HUNGER IS NOT AN EMERGENCY

start 245/ current 198/  goal....150!!!

janiej
on 9/6/07 11:31 am - Independence, IA
Just a thought ~~ but when a friend and I used to walk together we'd get to gabbing so much we'd forget how many laps we walked.  We started out walking on either the inside or outside lane and then moving over one each lap.  That way we could always keep track of how far we'd gone..... I know we were a little over a mile in the 4 laps -- but those are just "bonus" steps.   Have fun!!! Janie
Janie 
Julie G.
on 9/11/07 1:25 am - Marana, AZ
If the track is marked with start lines.....whatever lane you start in,if you start at the start marker for 400m.....and end at the same place, wouldn't that be the same distance?   That's what I always thought, but maybe I am wrong?
Most Active