Need Lots of Advice

valerie1974
on 9/3/07 6:18 am - morrison, MO

Hi all!!! This is my first time on the message board and I am long overdue being here.  I am 14 lbs away from my goal weight and would love to start running. I currently walk four about and hour everyday and would like to know how the best way to start running would be. I also need some advice on building muscle in my upper arms...triceps and biceps..I have spaghetti looking arms with too much dang saggy skin on them. I really know nothing about weight lifting. I live in a very small town with no gyms anywhere close where I could go to train and learn. I would greatly appreciate ANY advice that I can get. Thanks in advance.  Valerie

Andrea D.
on 9/3/07 11:53 am - Hampton, VA
VSG on 02/26/08 with
First congrats!! Im no expert but have belonged to gyms thru the years. Since you dont have a gym near by, I reccomend buying a set of hand weights. 3, 5, 8 and 10 lbs and buy a video showing you how to use the weights to tone your arms and upper body. Its easy and not time consuming. It couldl take as few as 15 minutes a day as many days a week you want. There are other things as well like bands and bars. You should find everything in any store with a sports section. good luck!
bs66
on 9/11/07 7:11 am - Manchester, MO
Valerie, Hello.  i am located in St. Louis and I am a certified personal trainer through AFAA.  I would love to help you out. Where is Morrison, MO located.  I can not seem to find it on my Atlas.  Where is it close to? Please feel free to contact me. Bonnie Smith RNY 06/21/2004 254/236/125/135 current
valerie1974
on 9/11/07 10:57 am - morrison, MO
Hi Bonnie, I just wanted to let you know that I sent a message to your OH page. Hope to hear back from you soon. Thanks. Valerie
MaryS
on 9/11/07 12:44 pm - Long Island, NY

Valerie, One way to start running would be to add running intervals to your walks; for example walk for 5 minutes, run for 1 minute.  The goal would be to gradually increase the running intervals and decrease the walking intervals. 

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active