Gaining Some Weight Back After Three Years

shoegal189
on 8/28/07 11:43 pm, edited 8/29/07 6:26 am - Hilliard, OH
Help!  I had my gastric bypass surgery (roux-en-Y) March 1, 2004.  It was quite successful and I was glad with the results.  I started out at 300 pounds and went down at one point to 147.  But, now, I've gotten married and settled in and I've put on 20 pounds!  Granted, being content and happy in my personal life has made me relax, but I'm freaking out over those 20 pounds.  I'm terrified to death of getting back to my old weight or gaining weight at all.  I refuse to be that way again. Does anyone have any similar stories of this and/or advice on what to do?  I've started back with my exercise program more aggressively and I've substituted at least one meal a day with a protein drink to make sure I am getting all the protein I need.  I need a diet/exercise plan that works well with gastric bypass patients to maximize the benefit of our "tool".  I suppose I'm freaking out that my once small stomach is now the size of a basketball.  I can obviously eat more than when I first had my surgery, but I'm still eating slightly less than a child size portion. Any help is greatly appreciated! Amanda
janiej
on 8/30/07 9:45 am - Independence, IA
Amanda, Boy ~ we're close ~ my lap RNY was 4/14/2004.  I started at 275 - went down to 135 and now sit at about 162.  However at one point I momentarily went back to 181.  I'm diabetic and finally convinced my doc to back off the Actos and dropped back to 172.  Now through working out a minimum of 5 days a week I'm back to 162.    For me it's the junk that I eat.... If I could kick the carbs and sugar I would be fine.  I've learned a couple things - for me at least - this summer after I kicked my butt back into gear.   First I figured out that after I kicked all the sugar and carbs for a week that my body was a lot less tolerant of them - kind of like back in the beginning right after surgery.  I think I "forced" my body into submission and when I gave them up I was a lot better off. Also, for me anyway, my lowest weight was too low for me..  I was going through some personal crises and basically quit eating.   I really have felt the best at about 150.  From talking to others in my group almost everyone this far out has gained the awful 20....  I don't necessarily think it's wrong.  I'm thinking everyone went somewhat low and they've just come back -- maybe just a little too far.   And lastly... they're just numbers and our lives our not determined by a number.  We are who we are.... I am making myself the healthy, fit person I want to be and I refuse to be tied to a number.  My self worth is worth far more than the number on the scale. Hope this helps - feel free to e-mail me anytime. Janie
Janie 
shoegal189
on 8/30/07 8:30 pm - Hilliard, OH
Thank God for our response!  It was like reading what's on my mind.  I did feel that when I was down to 147 it was too much and I was really sort of gross-looking (super protruding hip and collar bones and a gaunt face).  I was going through a very bad relationship and I was up a lot of nights and couldn't eat.  Also, yes, carbs and sugar are my vices and I'm determined to kick that bad habit.  I guess I just figured since I was eating such a low amount, that it wouldn't affect me - BIG MISTAKE.  My body grappled on to them and wouldn't let go. :-) Thank you so much for your encouragement.  I'm glad that I'm not the only one out there that's gone through this.  I was feeling so guilty and depressed, like I was the idiot that was lucky enough to have the surgery and be able to change her life, but took it all for granted and reverted back.  I know I'm stronger than that. Thank you a million times over! Amanda P.S.  What workout routine do you follow?
Most Active