What is enough or the recommended amount of exercise a day and week for weight loss?

Alexx
on 8/27/07 3:53 am
Hi. I try to walk for 40 minutes to 1 hour a day as exercise. Its not easy for me, but I can do it which why I started doing it. I guess I'm impatient and I feel like I should be able to do alot more and lose weight faster (3 months post op gastric bypass). So whats recommened? I weigh 300+ pounds and my daily exercise, as mentioned above really takes it out of me and leaves my legs pretty sore. What kinds of exercise are best and hopefully something I'd be able to do. I want to join a gym but I'm so intimidated, not to mention I'm practically socially retarded. If I had a friend t ogo to the gym with I know I could do it, but alone? *sigh* I hope I have the esteem and courage to do it one day, because I feel like I'm not doing enough and losing fast enough. Any advice would be appreciated, even criticism, as long as its constructive.
Earl C.
on 8/27/07 9:15 am, edited 8/27/07 11:07 am - Circleville, OH
Hey Alexx, You're doing great actually. It just takes time. You're doing plenty. I'd just stick to the walking for now, 40 min to an hour a day is great. It will get easier...as it does, increase your speed a little at a time, so you're covering more distance in that hour. At this stage, you're better off concentrating on walking and just getting healthy. Weight training and gyms would be something I would add later in your case. Hang in there. Earl No great thing is created suddenly.
janiej
on 8/27/07 10:55 am - Independence, IA
Have you tried water aerobics?  It is good for cardio and all over toning -- especially when you're just getting started.  It's also very easy on the joints because the water takes the "jolts".  I did this for a couple of years before I had RNY and then also for a while after.  You don't have to know how to swim as you don't have to be in very deep water .....  Just keep doing something -- it will work in the end and you'll be so thankful you've kept up the exercise.  I'm 3.5 yrs out and I truly feel this is the key to making it all work.  I never thought I'd look forward to my alarm going off at 5:15 am so I could go to the gym and sweat like a horse.   I look forward to this every morning!!! Good luck Janie Lap RNY 4/14/04 275/135/160
Janie 
Most Active