Question about working out

Ashley78986
on 8/22/07 2:01 am - MA
Okay, I just started going to the gym with a friend on Monday. We are taking the classes that the gym has to offer. Our first class was on Monday and boy was it a work out. My muscles were definitely sore yesterday. So, then yesterday we went to another class and that one was a really good work out too. However, I am soo sore today I can barely walk right. Now, the friend I'm going with said that it wouldnt be a good idea to go to the gym today because we are so sore and we might hurt something, but, I won't be able to go to the gym for the rest of the wee****il next Monday. So my question is, should I go to the gym tonight, work through the pain (and trust me it is pain!) and then take it easy until monday, or should I skip tonight and go again next Monday and hopefully the pain won't be so bad?? Thanks in advance for your input!!
Ashley

JeremyGentles
on 8/22/07 2:49 am - Johnson City, TN
Hello Ashley, First things first.....Congrats on getting into the gym, I am sure you will be pleased with your results! If you do go to the gym after being this sore, please take it easy. Get on the treadmill or the bike and just perform some light aerobic training; or you could stay at home or go to the park for a walk. There is no need to perform intense exercise if you are this sore. Remember, the recovery process is just as important as the exercise itself. Also, keep in mind that exercise is something that you should learn to enjoy...if you are so entirely sore that you can barely move, this is NOT enjoyable and will NOT contribute to long term adherence. Take your time as you begin your exercise program....you will have plenty of time to turn up the intensity and frequency of your exercise sessions as your fitness level increases.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Ashley78986
on 8/22/07 2:59 am - MA
Thank you! I guess I will take it easy until my muscles aren't as sore and work my way up to high intensity workouts. I love the classes, but the pain afterwards is not fun. I know it will go away in time so I will just ease myself into things and get used to using my muscles so much.  Thanks again!
Ashley

Most Active