Treadmill and exercise question

texastreat
on 8/19/07 10:38 am - Austin, TX

I'm pre-op and waiting for ins. approval.  I'm doing what my doctor has advised...I'm walking 30 mins a day. Due to the heat I'm walking on a treadmill indoors. I've progressed in my speed from 1.5 mph to 2.2 mph and my hubby mentioned that I'm not including a "cool down" time into that 30 mins. I start out at 2.2 and continue for 30 mins. Am I doing something wrong? Should I change my speed at the end and if so for how many mins before I stop?  Is it ok to increase my time yet or do I wait until my doctor tells me after surgery to increase it? I don't usually like exercise but I'm working on changing my mindset so that I do like it! I'm telling myself that I like it! And I'm making myself do the walk every day short of a mini crisis - like a long day and not getting home until 8pm...I'm in bed around 9-10pm cos I go to work at 6am...so I've not missed many days. Originally my doctor said to stick with the 30 mins until after surgery...is he afraid that I will burn myself out or something?? Just wondering what to do...

Thanks!  Cheers, Tee

Melanie M.
on 8/19/07 10:47 pm - Amherst, OH
Hi there!  I am post op (today marks my 6 mo. anniversary actually).  I walk on my treadmill also.  What I do is start off at a comfy speed.. continue to walk that speed until one lap around, then increase a little, and again and again.  Then when I hit my 30 minutes or whatever amount I do, I slow it down to walk maybe 3 minutes on a slow speed to cool down.  Just an idea.  It works well for me!  That way I get my heart rate down to normal and feel pretty good after my walk.  Hope this can help you in some way.  :)  Congrats on the decision to make the journey!  Take care!
- Melanie

"Thanking God everyday for my second chance at life.."
(deactivated member)
on 8/20/07 1:35 pm - Island Heights, NJ
Tee,
A "cool down" is used to gradually get your heart rate back down to a normal pace rather than just stopping cold.
At 2.2 mph, your heart rate really might not be getting all that high... if it's not, the cool down probably isn't necessary. But, If it does get up there, a 5 minute walk at a slower pace should do the trick.

Be Well,
A.J.
texastreat
on 8/20/07 1:48 pm - Austin, TX
Hi A.J., Thanks for the tip.  I'm breaking a light sweat at 2.2 so I'm guessing when I go much higher then I will do the cool down for 5 mins...how slow should I do the 5 mins? Sorry for sounding so ignorant of exercise things...I'm clueless! LOL Thanks! Cheers, Tee

If something makes you laugh and giggle, buy it or marry it !

JeremyGentles
on 8/22/07 2:40 am, edited 8/22/07 2:50 am - Johnson City, TN
Hello, You may want to check out an article that wrote that addresses many issues regarding cardiovascular exercise. Check it right here on ObesityHelp.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

texastreat
on 8/22/07 5:21 am - Austin, TX
Jeremy, Thank you!! Your article was great and easy for me to follow!  Yes my eyes glaze over when it comes to math equations!!!  LOL   You did a great job with the article! Cheers, Tee

texastreat
on 8/26/07 4:15 am - Austin, TX
Hey Jeremy,  Can you tell me what kind of heart rate monitor to buy...I need to keep it cheap and simple...under $50 if possible until I can afford the really nice ones.. Thanks so much for your help!! Cheers, Tee

Most Active