New post-op

Jo C.
on 8/19/07 5:56 am - CABAZON, CA
I know I can't exercise yet..BUT...when I do what should I start with. I'm only 4 days post op so obviously it's going to take a while to recover and the doctor won't release me to exercise for a while.

Should I join a gym, curves, or one of the other ladies circuit training places, should I just buy a treadmill and some rubberband thingys?

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Jo
waterman
on 8/19/07 8:23 am - Jacksonville Beach, FL
Hi Jo, Right now (with your doctors permission) you should be walking. Just moving at this point should be enough. When you are ready for routine exercise, my suggestion would be to start slow. walk around the neighborhood. Increase your distance as time goes by. After two months I joined the local gym. I attend the aerobic and strenght training classes. The class keeps me there for at least an hour, and I love the atmosphere. The treadmill thing at home works for some, but I get bored easily. The gyms have a nice variety of exercise machines, so you won't be limited to only the treadmill or a stationary bike, etc. Oh, congratulations on your surgery. I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery. Michael "waterman"

The Waterman

ResolvedVA
on 8/19/07 8:54 am - Bluemont, VA
Jo- I was required by my surgeon to walk, walk, walk every day after surgery because he did not want me to develop blood clots but definately do exactly what your particular surgeon advises. Actually, my surgeon told me that he expected me to be able to walk a mile a day by the time of my first check up which was 10 days after I got home from the hospital - understand that I had a different surgery than yours and mine was performed laproscopically so my recovery time was quite quick. I did have an umbilical hernia repair at the same time as my WLS so my surgeon said absolutely no stairs for almost the first month and I took him very seriously. I have not had any problems since then with the hernia but I know that hernias are common postop - actually did not know I even had a hernia until I was told it was repaired during WLS! I used a home treadmill almost daily for the first 9 months and then became somewhat irregular for the next 6 and then joined a gym where I have been going 4-5 days a week (mostly cardio and some weight lifting). I will be giving up some of those gym days now to join a strength training class 2-3 days a week and adding a little bike riding on the weekends just to diversify my exercise routine and to get more outdoor time but really anything to get yourself moving on a daily basis, once approved by your doc, is great. Good luck on getting fit! Taylor
ResolvedVA aka Taylor :) SW/GW/CW/New GW with muscles! 308/140/130/135
Most Active