Day off??

~Donna~ V.
on 8/15/07 11:23 pm - Orlando, Fl
How important is a day off? I am in the gym 6 days a week for 1 hour doing all cardio. I have pilates class twice a week and see my personal trainer twice a week for weight training. I feel SO guilty if I take a day off even though I do better when I do take a day off. How important is a day off? Does everyone take one? Is it bad to go 7 days a week? Scale has been stuck for 2 weeks now. FRUSTRATING! Thanks for any input
Donna
Earl C.
on 8/16/07 2:58 am, edited 8/16/07 4:41 am - Circleville, OH
Hey Donna, I'm a big believer in active recovery. But every so often if you feel tired and beat up, take a day off. But if you're enjoying your workouts, why take off? The body was meant to move everyday. I think if early man took a day off...they died.
~Donna~ V.
on 8/16/07 8:09 am - Orlando, Fl
Thanks a bunch...I hit the gym this afternoon...Glad I did
Donna
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/07 5:09 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
Recovery is probably more important for stength training than for cardio.  Your muscles need time to repair themselves after a strength training session, so you should not work out the same muscle group two days in a row.  There are some exceptions to this, like your abs - you can do crunches every day if you want.  As far as taking a recovery day for cardio, that's really a personal choice.  It depends on how hard your working out, what type of cardio you are doing, whether your getting muscle soreness, aches, pains, etc.   I usually take 1-2 days off per week from my gym routine, but on those days off, I'm still active doing other things (house work, yard work, etc.).  I do feel more energized when I head back to the gym after a day or two off; I think that has to do with how our body replaces our energy stores (it's like I've just filled up at the gas tank and I'm raring to go).   I will also occasionally take an entire week off from the gym.  My body gets accustomed to the same routine and I don't always feel I'm getting benefit for the time I'm spending sweating like a pig.  If I take a week off, then go back to the gym, I feel like I get more benefit from my workouts.  Could just be in my head, or me justifying being a slacker for a week, but it does seem to work for me. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!   Kellie
~Donna~ V.
on 8/17/07 5:32 am - Orlando, Fl
Thanks so much for your reply Kellie. I spoke to my Trainer at length about this today and he really wants me to take a day off so I am going to follow his advice. I am also still active on those days as well. Thanks again,
Donna
Most Active