Scared to learn how to ride a bike

SARose61
on 8/15/07 3:39 am - San Antonio, TX
Hey people, I'm a little bummed out at the moment.   My husband and my son have purchased new bikes for themselves in an effort to put some variety into our exercise routines.  OK, I'm very happy for them but deep inside I'm feeling left out in this.  It is my fault, I have been extremely obese since childhood, I never learned how to ride a bike (or swim for that matter).  I'm 46 and terrified of even trying it.   Believe me they offered to buy me one too and to spend time teaching me, but I declined the offer.  To make matters worse my DH broke his femur riding a bike at the age of 10 and I have heard the horror stories about how long it took to recouperate and I know he still cant bend that leg in certain directions.   OK I'm a wimp.       I dont know should I just forget the idea and let this be their form of exercise.   I feel bad because there are times when I know my DH would like to take a bike ride but he feels obligated to just go for a walk with me instead.      Or should I face my fears?   Anyone out there learn how to ride a bike as an adult?   Did it take you long, and did more important, how many times did you fall, I hate pain!!! Rosemary
Maddie471
on 8/15/07 4:44 am, edited 8/15/07 4:44 am - IN
I completely understand your fears--I learned to ride a bike as a kid, but I know I will have to relearn after I have my WLS.  Have you considered getting an adult tricycle??  Some of them are cute!  Or, maybe you could just put training wheels on your bike until you learn to ride without them?  I know you might feel silly with training wheels, but who cares?  Whatever you do, don't let your fears stop you--if you are like me, you have stopped your life for too long before your WLS--it is time to live!! Good luck and let us know how it goes! Here is a link for an adult tricycle that they carry at Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5679542 PS--as a kid I only fell off my bike one time and that was because my sister rode her bike into my path and knocked me down.  I came out of the fall with only a bad ankle sprain.
Maddie471

SARose61
on 8/15/07 7:29 am - San Antonio, TX
I saw the trike at Walmart and I though it looked nice but much more expensive than the ones my guys got.  Their intention is to go biking on some trails at a local park the trike would never make it and probably as a novice bike rider I wont make it on those trails for a while either. .  I'm trying to talk myself into learning.  Yes, there are way too many ways I have held myself back, so many things others enjoyed that I never did.  I was obese by the age of 5. 
pookieg
on 8/21/07 11:17 pm - DFW, TX
I found a really cool bike that is a semi recumbent.  I had a stationary exercise bike that was semi recumbent, so I thought this would be great.  I love the lumbar support.  I worked up a sweat after just going around the block the first week, but now I do 12 miles a day very easily.  It is so much fun, my husband went out and purchased the same bike, so now we ride together.  It is made by Giant, the model is "Revive".  Do a search on it.  I found mine on Craigslist, and my husband got his on Ebay.  They are pricey, but so worth it.  Who would have thought at this age I would become a cyclist???  I used to avoid bike riding as an adult because every time I did my butt was always sore.  I tried several different seats and nothing really helped until I tried this bike.  I think it is because I am sitting back riding as oppsed to sitting forward on the bikeGood luck!!

Most Active