Weight Lifting???

Mary S.
on 8/12/07 12:20 am - Central Florida, FL
Hi all - new to this board... I had RNY two weeks ago tomorrow... and am wondering how long after rny do I need to wait before I can start lifting weights at the gym? Thanks for your help!
K B (Tucson)
on 8/12/07 8:33 am - Tucson, AZ
You ned to get clearance for weights from your doc.  Many suggest waiting 4-6 weeks before starting with weights.  Any good gym will not let you start a weight program without a doc's clearance so don't try to fool your gym.
shoegirl1023
on 8/12/07 11:15 am - Solon, OH
I HAD TO WAIT 4-6 WEEKS BEFORE LIFTING WEIGHTS, AND WAS TOLD NOT TO DO ANY ABDOMINAL MACHINES FOR A WHILE AFTER THAT, BUT FLOOR CRUNCHES WERE OK. DON'T RU**** WAIT UNTIL U ARE HEALED, BUT I SUGGEST U WALK AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. I STARTED WALKING FROM DAY ONE AND HAVEN'T STOPPED. HOPE U START FEELING GOOD AND CONGRATS ON THE SURGERY. TAKE CARE

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader
My local support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month - please message me for further information

We are on a continuous journey without a destination

Chris G.
on 8/13/07 1:21 am
You definately need to wait for your MD to clear you to lift. You mainly need to focus on aerobic exercises right now (walking, Taijiquan [Tai Chi]). These exercises will not only build your muscles, they will help you burn fat while you are doing them.
Most Active