heart rate question

dorisp
on 8/10/07 4:12 am - San Antonio, TX
I have been spinning for 8 month and finally have decided to cycle longer distances outside ( have done 10 -20 at a time)  I have really worked on my heartrate and endourance, but on my first long ride I spent the ride at 160-175 heart rate,which is 10 to 15 higher than I do indoors and not comfortable. Any ideas anyone... I am going on another long ride Saturaday and would really like to ride more comfortable.  I know to slow down, but it only dropped if I came to a complete stop and once I started moving it climbed right back up. Doris
Boner
on 8/13/07 3:32 am - South of Boulder, CO
Heat, wind and the hills are probably the culprit for your elevated heartrate. Keep hydrated, ride in the cooler. less windy hours (if there are any this time of year in San Antonio)  Also, take numerous breaks but limit them to 5 minutes or so. Good luck -- it's amazing to watch the avg. heart rate go down as our conditioning improves so keep up the road work. Spinning is fun but there's nothing like a great road workout.
dorisp
on 8/13/07 4:20 am - San Antonio, TX
This last weekend was better... I also think my AT is higher than I think, because I can carry on a conversation at 160 and don't struggle with it.  We ride early - 7 a.m.  and the wind I have decided is a head wind coming or going. I agree... I love the outdoor rides and there is nothing like them - the freedom is simply a high.  I average 15.5 per hour and am happy with that for a beginner.
Most Active