anyone here have a personal trainer

shannondita
on 8/9/07 8:39 am - Gainesville, FL
I know this is a luxury but I spent 17k of my own money on the surgery why not 1k more for a trainer for the next 3 months. I dont have the extra money but I can peice it together if need be. has anyone found this helpful to have a personal trainer? I dont know much about exercise and I hate doing it. I thought this might educate me and teach me to love it. Shannon
Scott William
on 8/9/07 1:43 pm
If you don't know anything about exercise, it's a great idea.  You can read all you want but having someone to explain why you are doing different exercises is big.  I think a trainer is a good idea if you can swing it. If you can't, ask people who look like they know what they are doing or ask some of the gym employees.  I have seen some do that. Good luck Scott
~Donna~ V.
on 8/10/07 5:51 am - Orlando, Fl
I have just had my 2nd session with a trainer and he is awesome! I was doing cardio 6 days a week and pilates twice a week but had not done weight training. I felt like that was the last piece to my fitness puzzle. I have some serious knee problems and he has been great thus far working around that. Just do your homework. Make sure he has the certifications and insurance. In finding one I talked to a lot of kooks.  Good luck!
Donna
K B (Tucson)
on 8/12/07 8:37 am - Tucson, AZ
I am coming up on 2 years working with a trainer.  It is not cheap, but my body has changed so much.  It is all due to the trainer and the program he is giving me.  I highly endorse using a trainer.  They teach you how and why to do certain excercises and customize the program to meet your physical fittness lefel and needs.  It is great.
ResolvedVA
on 8/12/07 10:43 am - Bluemont, VA
Shannondita- I got on a treadmill the day after my surgery 10/2005 and pretty much have used that religously and then at the beginning of May this year I signed up at a gym and started doing cardio dance classes 4-5 days a week and then some treadmill work too. The gym gave me a free training session but it was not much use as they were trying to hook me into signing up for training. I do not believe that the young trainer had enough experience to really help me. That being said, I just met a man who has years of training experience and I will be joining his core body strength traing classes 3 times a week and then possibly doing some weight work under his supervision in addition. I really believe that thin does not necessarily equate with healthy and strong and I intend to have it all. I think with the right trainer it is worth every penny! Good luck on your search for a great trainer. I would suggest finding a trainer who has been doing it for a number of years and knowledge about WLS is a plus! Regards, ResolvedVA DS 10/2005 Hi WT:320 Goal WT:140 Current WT:125 New Goal WT:135 with muscles!
ResolvedVA aka Taylor :) SW/GW/CW/New GW with muscles! 308/140/130/135
DoriR
on 8/16/07 11:11 am - Riverdale, MD
I feel the same way. I spent 17k of my own money on the surgery, too. What's a little more debt at this point if it will help me get healthy?  I started my exercise with water aerobics after surgery. I was way too big and had too many physical issues to work out on land. After 6 months I felt that I was strong enough to try land, but did not know how to approach it without hurting myself. I had surgery two years ago to repair a torn rotator cuff and torn bicep tendons. I also have arthritis in my knee and big toe joints and have an inflammatory disease that flares up. So I found a personal trainer at a place that only provides one on one training. Not only have I learned how to work out, but it has been like being in rehab for my physical problems. Also, when I'm tired after work or my joints hurt, I can convince myself that I shouldn't work out, but if I have an appointment with a trainer I have to show up or pay. This has taught me that no matter how rotten I feel or tired I am, working out will make me feel better.  I am so grateful to this surgery for giving me the ability to move again. Every workout is a WOW moment for me. I am amazed by you folks who are runnign marathons and such. I am happy  just to be able to take a really long walk with my dogs or spend the day walking around museums and art galleries. I am currently shopping for a bicycle even though I haven't been on one in 30 years.I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks for sharing your experiences on this forum. Dotsie   
shannondita
on 8/16/07 11:24 am - Gainesville, FL
Thanks for the reply! I am glad someone else thinks like me! I am going to do it. I have my school loan difference coming back to me and I am going to sign up.  I did my free class and it killed me! OOOUCH. I was so sick! I look forward to it getting easier and easier to move as I get smaller around the waist. Shannon
~Donna~ V.
on 8/16/07 10:50 pm - Orlando, Fl
Good for you Shannon. It will get easier. I love working with my Trainer. Just when I think I cant possibly do one more rep there he is, "You only have three more, you can do it" and you know what, I do!!  I would NEVER push myself to that point. Good luck!
Donna
Most Active