Am I walking too much?

john47012
on 8/5/07 6:41 am - brookville, IN
I started walking at the Y about 6 weeks ago, I started out with 2 miles at about 3.5-3.6 miles an hour I have worked my way up to 6 miles in about an hour and a half. at one time. I want to know is this too much. I am not losing . Am I overdoing it ? Should i cut back ? I am confused

My Dr. says I swallow a lot of aggression, along with a lot of pizza!
Earl C.
on 8/5/07 7:03 am - Circleville, OH
Hey John, I honestly don't believe there is such a thing as too much cardio if you're still trying to lose fat.  I think splitting up the cardio is a good way to keep the intensity up and keep your metabolism stoked 24 hours a day. So I think, for losing fat, a morning cardio session and one in the evening burns more total calories, even if the mileage is the same as when you did 1 long session. Look at other things too if you start to level off. Like are you getting in enough protein and water or taking in too many calories. Good luck. Earl
SARose61
on 8/6/07 11:37 pm - San Antonio, TX
I agree with earl are you getting in enough protein?  But also can you add in some strength training to your routine.   Try interval walking where you alternate walking at higher and lower speeds for 5-10 minutes at a time through out your workout it shakes your metabolism up a bit to do this. If you haven't lost any weight, how are your clothes fitting, maybe you are losing inches.    Keep up the good work Rosemary
Most Active