spinning or running?

Kari M.
on 8/2/07 10:21 am - Pasadena, CA
i've signed up for a two day/week spinning class as an alternative to running while my knee is healing from some sort of injury (currently seeing a doctor and got x-rays). after 3 months of next-to-no running, i'm missing my lean body already. does anyone know if spinning will give me back my lean, muscled legs/hips? how's the calorie burn v. running?
Chris G.
on 8/2/07 12:19 pm
The main difference in running and spinning is that spinning doesn't make you support your body weight. There is resistance, and the speeds change every so often. It's pretty much like interval training because for some periods you go at a leisurely pace, then you crank up the intensity. It's a really good workout and it will help you get your lean legs that you want. If you stick with it ;)
(deactivated member)
on 8/3/07 12:37 am - Island Heights, NJ
The thing about Spinning is that the intensity of the workout is totally up to you. The instructor is really just a guide. The amount of resistance you put on the bike coupled with how hard/fast you push during the class is what separates an "Okay" workout from an outstanding workout.
For me, I'm literally soaked with sweat and pretty much wiped out after a good 60 minute spin... but, some days, I'll run 10K in about an hour and barely break a sweat.

Be Well,
A.J.
Kari M.
on 8/3/07 3:41 am - Pasadena, CA

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll keep this in mind when I feel myself slacking on the bike, heh.

dorisp
on 8/4/07 11:58 pm - San Antonio, TX
Hi, Kari,  I spinn 4 or 5 times a week and love it. I wear a heart/calorie monitor and normally burn about 575 calories in an hour and  am so happy with how lean my leg are. Yesterday I undertook riding outside and rode 38 miles in 2.5 hours and burned 2500 calories... yay.   Doris
Most Active