Any advice for those just getting started?

Celia K.
on 8/2/07 1:45 am - Salt Lake City, UT
I have just started my journey in this WLS world.  My surgery is set for four months from now but I know that I will be better prepared for surgery if I start some sort of excercise routine now.  I'm 5'8" and weigh 287.  I am not very active at all right now but do some walking. Any advice for a newbie on how to get started, particularly with anything in addition to walking?  I don't belong to a gym and have no room in my home for excercise equipment so maybe a gym is for me.  Kinda scared of doing myself harm, however, if I just sit down and start using machines.
Earl C.
on 8/2/07 4:20 am - Circleville, OH
I would just do more walking if I were you. Earl
SARose61
on 8/2/07 6:28 am - San Antonio, TX
Hi, If you have room to take 2 steps forward back and to each side and you have a DVD player, an in home walking tape may be a good idea for you.  Leslie Sansone has several of them out.  I bought one just yesterday at Walmart.  We have been using her walk routine which is also available on TW cable on the digital exercise on demand channel.   She teaches 4 basic walking steps and some of her routines include hand weights to build upper body strength.    This is now my favorite form of exercise, in my bed room my husband does it with me.  She teaches in her routines to always do what you can, modify the steps to the intensity that you can deal with.  I have a bad knee and some days I cant do the knee lifts. I think it is great that you are deciding to exercise now.  I'm 5 years post op and I wish I had done it pre-op and during my 1st year.  5 years later I am still trying to take off the last 50-60 lbs and it isn't easy.  Rosemary
Most Active