Newbie to Exercise - Dealing with Pain

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/07 4:27 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Guys, Maybe you can help me. I've always been a walker - according to my pedometer, even my lazy days have me walk 2 miles. So what is below is why I'm so frustrated. Last Wednesday I started walking 2.125 miles with my dog in the early morning, and I have an average 21 minute mile. Anyway, I took two days off because of pain in the knees and such, and started again today. Now I feel the pain again (less so, but still) and I feel like I'm pulling a muscle in the hip area. I'm so frustrated, as I like doing my early morning fast(ish) for me walk with my dog. It gets me up and  gets him walked! I'm already taking 2 Tylenol before I walk, and it still hurts. I don't want to stop walking, because I really like it. HELP!
Scott William
on 7/29/07 9:17 pm
Here is what I know about exercise and injuries.  If you try to work through them, they usually get worse.  If, at the first hint of something, you take a few days off it usually goes away.  If it does not go away, you should have it checked out.  I had knee pain that really effected my running last year.  All it took was a few stretching exercises and some specific muscle strengthening and away it went.  Hopefully, it is that simple for you. I would take a few more days to rest it.  If the pain does not go away then have it checked out. Scott
SARose61
on 7/31/07 2:32 am - San Antonio, TX

My 1st thought is shoes?  Are you in a good pair of shoes, or could your shoes need replacing if you have had them too long.  If they are slightly worn out a bad pair of walking shoes could be contributing to the pains you are having.

My 2nd thought is the turf.  Where are you walking the dog?  Hard concrete and asphalt can really do a number on our joints.  I'm lucky that I live close to a University that has a dog walking friendly walking track that is made out of special padded pavement easy on the joints, I have a knee that acts up.  Only down side to the track is that a pedometer (at least my ceap one)doesn't pick up all my steps because of the cush factor. 3rd thought, perhaps you should sacrifice daily walking and do it every other day, to see if the pains subside.  You could substitute other low impact home routines on alternate days. Or do only one mile every other day with extra routines at home. Hope you get resolution.    Rosemary

Chris G.
on 8/2/07 5:24 am
I agree with the other posters, lay off for a couple days and see if the pain goes away. If it doesn't, then you need to get it checked out by an MD. Also, do you do any stretching after your walk?
Most Active