Joggers and Runners Question! :)

Amanda K.
on 7/29/07 9:27 am - Leesburg, VA
Hey Yall I used to run and I have done several 1/2 marathons and 1 full marathon.  I am taking steps to have an RNY/Gastric Bypass.  My question is this, I have a concern about the gatorade, gels and eating part of long distrance running and training.  Has anyone found a way to overcome this? Do the gels cause dumping? Do you have to switch to bars vs the gels?  I want to get back into running once able with the weight and complete a few more marathons!!  Thanks! :)
MaryS
on 7/29/07 10:57 am - Long Island, NY
Amanda, I've run 3 1/2 marathons since my gastric bypass surgery.  I asked my nutritionist for some guidance and she recommended trying Gu energy gel.  I have used them and I haven't experienced any dumping.  For me it hasn't been a problem. Good luck with your surgery. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Amanda K.
on 7/29/07 11:18 am - Leesburg, VA
Mary - That's great!!! I actually prefer Gu, so that is good news.  How far post op were you before you started running or before you did your first 1/2?
MaryS
on 7/30/07 1:26 am - Long Island, NY

Amanda,

I started incorporating small intervals of running about 6 months after my surgery.  I think I was down to about 220 with I started doing this.  I did my first 1/2 marathon about 15 months after my surgery.  I was new to running, I hadn't done any running prior to surgery so your progress may be faster.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Scott William
on 7/29/07 9:54 pm
Good for you!  I was wondering the same thing as I started to train for the longer distance races.  It took a few weeks for my stomach to be okay with the power gel.  Now I can suck em down pretty easily without any stomach issues.  I have also used energy beans which have worked well.  As far as gatorade, it was the same as the gels.  At first they bothered my stomach slightly.  Now it's not so bad but I will mix them with water before a long run.  If I am drinking them for recovery, they can go down without adding water.  Other things that have worked for me are oatmeal cookies or breakfast bars. One odd thing that took me a while to figure out was that I can no longer tolerate Poland Spring water.  I could not figure out why I had to make pit stops two miles into my runs a few days in a row.  After some experiment, I figured out that it was the water.  I have had to skip some water stations where poland spring was served. Overall, you will figure out what works after your surgery.  You may dump on everything or, like me, you may not dump at all.   Pimpin my marathon blog here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681 There are two marathon reports and a few others. Good Luck Scott
(deactivated member)
on 7/30/07 2:28 am - Island Heights, NJ
Amanda,
I use Accelerade drinks and Clif Shot Blocks.
Both with no ill-effects.

Unfortunately, It's probably gonna be a matter of trial & error.

Getting endurance & race nutrition dialed in is hard enough for non-WLS athletes... Good Luck.

Be Well,
A.J.
Most Active